How would you define "Command Presence?" What are some of your examples of effective Command Presence and how did that lend itself to an incident or operation? Is Command Presence a learned trait or you either have it or you don't?

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally hit it Tom. Especially the last two sentences.
wow, well said Tom, this is a great topic because we've got aggressive firefighters that try to do command and its hard for them because they get to caught up on the "fire" its self and not watching the whole picture and that could lead to big problems, I'm by far a "incident commander" but I've taken lots of classes about it, just becausse it make use all a smarter firefighter. We've got guys that have never been inside a fire but know everything about it and they've been great commanders because they dont get all caught up on one thing, to be a great commander you better know how to "multi task" so if you cant chew gum and walk at the same time, stick to being a firefighter and not a commander.

All you guys have captured the essence of what this discussion is all about…its too bad more people can’t see the “big” picture and grasp the understanding of what’s been presented thus far….
Stay safe brothers and thanks for the posts……
Command presence to me is the ability to keep your head while everyone around you loses theirs. The best example of command presence would be the video shot on 9/11 from the french guys that were doing a documentary on FDNY. The IC is in the lobby of the first tower when the second tower gets hit. He calmly requests additional units and begins to give orders for that. He never got excited, stayed calm and did what needed to be done. That is presence, all of the training we do and expierence that we acquire goes towards ability.
As for whether its learned or not, look at the military. Anyone who has been in the service could tell horror stories of officers who had the training to lead but couldnt once it hit the fan. Yet some private just out of high school gets the whole unit to do exactly what needs done. Some people are born with it, the trick is finding those people in your orginazation and making sure they get the training to be competent in that position.
Practicing the same thing over and over is building muscle memory and ensures that you react a certain way. This modifies the fight or flight response(kinda reprograms the mokey brain). Think back to your first training fire... your heart rate was way up, you were breathing fast and you had to keep reminding yourself what you needed to do next. Now look at yourself with 10 years or so of expierence the physical response isnt so pronounced and you can process more information because you dont have to actually think what to do next because your mind is 2 steps in front of your body.
Take this argument outside of the fire service and some people are born with command presence. Look at any disaster and there is always the story of the mailroom clerk leading a group of people to safety based on their natural ability to stay calm and think. That is command presence
This certainly seems worthy of re-discussion.
I don't have any examples, but I think that "command presence" is something that either you have it or don't, AND can be learned. The difference is how quickly it can be applied by the person doing it. To the one who learns it, it may take a few tries to get it. To the one who just has it, bang, he's right there right away. Someone can learn to be a good IC as long as they have the ability to see the whole picture. Myself, not sure I could do it. All I know is what's going on with the fire. But with training, who knows?.
To me, Command Presence is having the ability to have people carry out your orders with zeal and vigor.
I believe a person conveys the message of being in charge (or having authority) without having to state it.

I have been to many fires where the Chief in charge has no command presence and things are just going downhill.....and as soon as a Chief with good command presence shows up......it seems like everyone breaths a sigh of relief and usually things take a turn for the better.(but not always, sometimes things never work the way we want them to)

I believe Command Presence is something you are born with (something that everyone has) , yet some people never live up to their potential. I believe that some people may become better leaders and strengthen their command presence over time......yet a huge mistake some(most) people make is thinking that a class that teaches you to do "A B C and 1 2 3" will give them "command presence" or good leadership.....it just doesn't work on some people.

Just my opinion
Christopher, I believe Command Presence is a learned trait. However, this is only in my instance. I used to be an extremely shy and introverted individual when I was growing up and latter in high school. However, when I found my place in life and began to feel comfortable with who I was it helped me to understand that my abilities and talents were of value. Years latter when I became Chief here I realized the importance of seeing the big picture and thinking beyond this moment whether on a scene or in the daily administration issues. Command Presence has everything to do with understanding our responsibilities and how that effects our subordinates. Thinking and acting on our training and experiences in such a way as to bring about respect and support from our forces is an example of command presence. It sure isnt something that is forced, imposed or bought like putting on a badge. It is recognized and understood as traits of a true leader.
I would define command presence as a deliverance of different traits, voice tone, body language,and a smooth next move delivery system. Ever watch some people put a jig saw puzzle together? There are ones that keep turning the pieces round, and round, and round.Then there are the ones that can pick up a piece, and place it in the spot it goes the first time!

Can you be taught? I believe some can! Can you be born with it? I've seen a few!
If command is chaotic,it becomes contagious/inafective. If command is cool, nobody sweats/effective.
Command Presence is equal parts positioning, observation, directing, and controlling.

If you position where the troops can see you and where you can maintian your view of the big picture, it will improve your command presence.

If you observe conditions, actions, and resources and stay on top of how the interaction between the three is progressing, it will real-time input that is critical to maintaining command presence.

If you direct the troops firmly, calmly, and with confidence, it conveys command presence.

If you maintain control over yourself, your resources, and the scene, it demonstrates command presence.
Command presence...hummm, good topic Chris. I would have to say when the RIGHT guy in the white hat is there and everyone knows it, no one questions it and respect is evident. Beyond the white hat well....everyone should have a command structure, chief, AC, captain,ect...and an SOG for command, ours is senior officer down to senior FF for first due, some are good some not, but there's always one maybe more that when they are on-scene, you go to for direction....that's command presence! Can it be taught, maybe, but to get to the top, it's an inherited trait.
A person has command presence when that person arrives on scene and everyone feels a sense of relief. No matter what is happening, that person has arrived and you know that your group will get through it. Like the old radio ad - "Don't worry, Bob's here".

I think this is the result of repeated demonstration of leadership skills under fire or in very difficult situations.

Seems to me that someone may come by it naturally, others by reputation, but all need to demonstrate repeated competence in command before "earning" the quality of command presence.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service