I am wondering how your department's clear members to drive and operate your trucks. I am from a volunteer department and it seems to problem with us. We do have standards, but it seems to be over looked by new members who think they can just jump in and go. What are your standard operating procedure on this topic.

Views: 247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So they just function as drivers and once on the scene, someone else has to operate the pump?
As it should be, Ladychaplain. Here, we also need a Class B (non-CDL) driver's license.
Normally the driver is the pump operator, but on occasions someone else runs the pump. Depends on who we have show up.
Our SOP's are pretty much the same as Lady Chaplains. You need Pump Ops, Ladder Ops, be 21 with 3 years drivers experience and a clean license with no marks, you than go out for training with the line officers who take you driving, than operate the pump, ladder, and equipment. When you are ready, you take your test with a Chief Officer. He grades you with a drivers list, than will discuss your case with the officers at the monthly officers meeting. If all agree, than you are qualified on the truck. We start everyone with the Brush Truck and Rescue. Than Engine 1 and Engine 2. Than Engine 3 and the Tanker. Than the Tower Ladder. We only have 3 trucks that are manual transmission, the rest are standard which makes it hard for those who do not drive big rigs daily, like myself, and who cant get the concept of double clutch!! LOL Our rescue, tower, and engine 1 are all manual. The brush truck is manual but thats only a Chevy Pickup with tank and pump on the back with tool boxes on either side.
Our EVO quals start when you get your Class B license from the state of Georgia. Then you have to pass the Department EVO Test and log a minimum or 40 hours behind the wheel with a qualified engineer/driver in the passenger seat.

THEN you can "jump in and go!!"
One of our officers will go through the trucks with a new applicant. We show them where to find all the equipment and everything else they may need off of that truck. After that we show them how to get water out of the truck and how to regulate the pressure on the nozzel. Then we take them out and let them drive the truck to one of our dry hydrants. Once there we help them set up to draft. After helping them pull a draft, we break it down and make them do it all by themselves. We may also throw in some "Uh-oh" scenarios to see how they deal with it. We have a check sheet to go down and they have to be able to do everything on that list to be cleared to drive and operate any of our trucks. We do suggest going through an EVOC course but it's not required.
We do suggest going through an EVOC course but it's not required.
. Do you yourself feel this is sufficient? What does your insurance carrier say about this?
we have to take a "driving test" given with the chief in the passeger seat. We have to pass a written test. and have to know how to check out the truck ie. check fluid levels, tires, etc.
I would rather make it MUST to operate our trucks. I don't know what the insurance carrier says about it. They must be ok with it. It's been that way for years that I know of.
Patrick, I'm not creating anything here. Just explaining how it is here at home.

1) Members know coming in, THERE IS NO DRIVER TRAINING IN THE 1ST YEAR. PERIOD. (Cool yer jets)
2) Completion of the NYS EVOC course is a prerequisite for Driver Training
3) You can get on the Drivers List for the pick-ups (a misc. unit and a back up Medic Response unit) by practicing with and impressing the OIC of DT enough for him to recommend you to the Chief.
4) To get on the Ambulance Drivers List requires more as above with specific practice and awareness of equipment function and its placement on board. Driver need not be a medic.
5) To get on the Heavy Rescue Drivers List: As above. W/ special att. to air cascade system, hurst tools, lighting tower, haz mat equip, gas sensors, etc.
6) To get on the Drivers Lists for Engines : As above after completion of NYS Pump Operators Course.
7) For the Ladder Truck Drivers List: As above after completion of NYS Pump Ops and Ladder Ops.

They are generally done in that order. Our drivers got qualified for Engine Lists by being pump operators, so nobody else should be pumping engines for them.
Yes we are all volunteers. It works for us. Hope this helps.
Here In South Carolina, you first have to get a class "E" license
A class "E" license is for vehicles over 2600 Lbs. ( Non Comm. )
Then you have to take the course " EVDT " Emerg. Vehicle Driver Training )
Then you need to take " Pump Opp's 1 & Pump Opp's 2 "
And if you are going to operate a Ladder Truck, then you need to
take " Aerial Opp's "
In our company it's the Chiefs choice. And its a problem. When I was starting to drive it took me 2 years to become qualifed. One the 2nd engine I actually drove to a cover up and 2 additional runs while there and when we got back the Chief actually said "you know your not qualifed yet". For the third enginem a squrt, I drove to another cover up, responded on the 3rd alarm and pump our engine and help other with thier engines...and still didn;t get qualifed to weeks later. Each time it was the Chief that told me to drive and it was two different chiefs.....go figure

Reply to Discussion


FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2021   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service