All FireFighters Support this great idea to make a National Firefighter Day on 9/11.

All Firefighters please support Jon Leahys idea of making 9/11 a National Firefighter Day out of respect to all Firefighters in this great country of ours I would think all the Brothers&Sisters that gave their lives For the Supreme Sacrifise on 9/11 would be smiling down from Heaven knowing that all Firefighters are being recognized on 9/11 as the National Firefighter Day in The United States. I hope all politicians see this and all the firefighters support this for Jon Leahy who lost his father in NY on 9/11 what a wonderfull idea.Firefighter Hugh Fawcett-Station57 -Irwin PA-Westmoreland County

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the idea of having a day to honor the dedication of Emergency Service workers. We are indeed the next in line of the government just under the military, as someone mentioned earlier. I am on board with this. While we should honor the sacrifices made on 9/11 we should remember not only the past but the present. Having this one sided I think would cause the idea of such a day to loose its luster to the common public within a couple of years. You got my vote.
See, look! Something that show MS isn't behind on everything! We were the 20th state out of 50.

Of course when they joined the union they were the last to to do so until the 21st state of Illinois came about. So MS was last yet again. For a year at least...
Senator Inhofe in 2006 proposed that the second Tuesday in October (National Fire Prevention Week) be made a National Firefighter Appreciation Day. Nothing ever came of it.

To my knowledge there is no police, nurse or sanitation workers appreciation day, all certainly worthy of being 'appreciated'.

September 11th 2001 is Patriot's Day and I don't see that ever being changed as it was not about firefighters on that day.

Personally I don't see why there needs to be a firefighter appreciation day. It would involve the same politicians who at some other point in time will be suggesting cutbacks, layoffs, closings and brown outs to their local fire departments during budget crunch time. So much for appreciation. Besides, I read in here all of the time about why people are firefighters and how special they are for being one. Now you need a day to honor you too? Maybe you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
Hough, I love the idea!!! It should be Firefighter day instead of Patriot Day! What would it take to change it????
Jack/dt, Its not about us, its about the 343 that died on that day!
Granted it is called Patriots day,and I know that there were 2803 killed on that day,and EVERYONE that was involved that day is a patriot, but I have to agree- it should be National Firefighters Day-to me and people that I have talked to,it's always about the 343.
John, it's not about firefighters. On that day NYPD, MTA and Port Authority police died, as well as a few thousand civilians. It was a National event that affected every walk of life and is not and should not be just about firefighters. It was called patriot's day for a reason and to co-opt it just for firefighters is selfish and misinformed.

I personally do not think we need a firefighter appreciation day but if there would to be one I would agree with Sen. Inhofe's proposal to make it the second tuesday of October. Fire Prevention week has been observed since 1922 and that would certainly be the most appropriate time to have one.
I think it should be more than national firefighter day, maybe national emergency services day?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service