Sorry it's been so long since I've last been on the site.
I wasn't the one who brought in the rum balls, but I'm very relieved to read that the other programmer didn't inadvertently cause Hamid to do something against his faith.
I may have more questions in the future and appreciate having you out there willing to answer them.
Stay safe out there!
My day job is computer engineering. Fire service involvement has always been volunteer.
I have worked with many Muslims engineers but I'm not in contact with any right now. Moved away. So I appreciate the opportunity to ask you a few questions.
1. A fellow programmer once brought some home-made confections to work and passed them around. Our Muslim supervisor popped one in his mouth, smiled and said, "mmm, good What are they?" She said, "Rum balls." Hamid murmured "Rum?" with a horrified look on his face then ran from the room, spitting the goop into his hand. And I realized! I turned to the girl and said, "He's Muslim. They don't drink alcohol." Ever since then I've wondered - is the accidental ingestion of alcohol considered as big a "sin" as deliberately drinking?
2. What, if anything, does the Koran say about forcing non-Muslims to convert to Islam?
3. Does the Koran require Muslims to respect others practicing their religions?
4. What is dhimittude (sp?)?
5. When I was in college I met an Iranian Muslim in the computer lab (1974). He asked me out but I had work that night and when he asked I told him where I worked. So, he showed up at my job that night. Behind him, keeping about fifteen feet back and glaring daggers at me, was a girl who was dressed conservatively but not in any traditional looking dress. He didn't introduce me and when they left he just took off ignoring her. She followed him out while staying back several feet. Who the heck might she have been do you think? Sister, cousin, unrelated chaperone, wife # 1?
Hello my brother I am from Syria I am fire officer in Aleppo Fire & Rescue Department I am graduated form military school land forces in 1996 .
utile now in Fire service.
Aleppo city has 2.000.000 population but as u know my country is growing so we have weakness in the (training , the number of firefighters,Arabic references ) so I spent 4 years to learn English and I translated allot of fire information and taught for my Aleppo firefighters.
I followed 2 courses in Egypt about HAZMAT , technical rope rescue in Malaysia, today is latest day in Japan I have just finished course about disaster risk reduction
I hope to study about fire in USA in future
sorry for my bad English