2,966 victims [2,998 as of Spring 2009]
All but 13 people died on that day. The remaining 13 later died of their wounds. One person has died since the attacks, of lung cancer. It is suspected to have been caused by all the debris from the Twin Towers.
There were 266 people on the four planes:
• American Airlines Flight 11 (crashed into the WTC): 92 (including five terrorists)
• United Airlines Flight 175 (crashed into the WTC): 65 (including five terrorists)
• American Airlines Flight 77 (crashed into the Pentagon): 64 (including five terrorists)
• United Flight 93 (downed in Shanksville, PA): 45 (including four terrorists)
There were 2,595 people in the World Trade Center and near it, including:
• 343 NYFD firefighters and paramedics (LODD)
• 23 NYPD police officers (LODD)
• 37 Port Authority police officers
• 1,402 people in Tower 1
• 614 people in Tower 2
• 658 people at one company, Cantor Fitzgerald
• 1,762 New York residents
• 674 New Jersey residents
• 1 NYFD firefighter killed by a man jumping off the top floors of the Twin Towers
There were 125 civilians and military personnel at the Pentagon.
Sadly, a part of everyone one of us died this terrible day.