I'm looking for any hazmat props. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find any. Does anyone know where to go? Just looking for the valves for a chlorine tank railcar and an 1 ton chlorine cylinder any help would be great.

Views: 180

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of My Firefighter Nation to add comments!

Join My Firefighter Nation

Comment by Mike Schlags (Captain Busy) Retd on March 15, 2009 at 10:40am
noting that you are back east somewhere, I don't think things are too different there than they are on the west coast as far as contacts... starting your quest by asking the question here on the FFN is a great first step. there are tons of resources for you to draw upon including your state fire marshal and any training programs they support might be helpful, or you can make contact with the major rail providers in your area. Where do they service or recycle old train cars? how about the Chorine institute? Insurance companies who write the policies for the rail might be interested in giving you a hand as well. Failure to prepare is preparing for failure so your efforts should be seen as proactive, hopefully giving you some tools to train with. The national fire academy or larger departments in your area might be another source. Don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have too. Maybe you can network with these "other" departments and look into a regional concept for dealing with your needs. There is typically a lot of departments who need the same training. Network with these folks and maybe you might find more innovative ways to tackle your goals. Good luck.
Comment by Doug Carter on March 15, 2009 at 7:49am
Thank you for your onfo. I will be checking on this and will let you know what I find out.
Comment by Chief Tal Mong on March 14, 2009 at 10:25pm
Do you want these props for your self or just to use and return? We will be using the Ohio Fire Academy's chlorine simulator a long with the A ,B, and C kits in a few months, you may check with your State's Fire Academy for these props. I have talked to hazmat clean-up contractors and have asked the same questions. The chlorine items are hard to come by. I was advised to contact the chlorine institute, you can find it on line. I have not had the opportunity to make that call yet, let me know if you find something out on that one. The other option is to contact some of the railroads in your area. I have not checked here myself as of yet, we had CSX come in and do a railroad presentation. However, you need to make those arrangements a year in advance. They may be able to help with the chlorine items you are looking for. That will depend on who the owner of the rail tank car. Check with your local busnesses in manufacturing. They replace old valves most of the time and some other plumbing equipment that they may be willing to donate to your hazmat training equipment.

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2021   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service