Communications Drill in mold infested building 1-27-2010

Today the city of Mobile fire rescue training instructors conducted a communication drill at a downtown building that has been closed for a period of time. This building was once called city hall north and was occupied by city employees until employees were moved to a new building located on Government Street. The City had a similar problem with the old City court house building located on the corner of Government Street and Royal Street. This court house building was closed down around the same time the old City Hall North building was closed. The only difference between the two buildings is that the mold problem must have been worse at the old court house building at Government and Royal because the city had it demolished. This building has been closed down because of the spread of mold throughout the entire 4 story complex.
Today on January 27, 2010 training group two was called down to this sick mold infested place to conduct a communications drill.
When all fire department personnel had arrived they were all briefed on what the drill would consist of. After the briefing everyone took their place the employees were split into groups of two and the drill got started. The teams of two were told to enter the building that was simulated to be on fire. As the teams entered the building they could not believe what they seen. This building was covered with mold and mildew and the smell of mold was everywhere.
The question is why did these training instructors have this drill at a building that has been condemned by the city because of the bad mold? This drill could have been conducted at the training facility or in a building that was safe to breathe the air. All these employees were put into a hazardous mold infested health environment just for a communications drill. It’s not enough that these employees are getting exposed to mold at some of the fire stations but now they are being exposed to mold by having a drill in a condemned building. Someone should be held liable for any health problems any of these employees may encounter because of the danger of mold exposure and the effects that mold exposure has inside the body.
By the way the City of Mobile is trying to sell this mold infested building for nine hundred and thirty thousand dollars.

Click on the following link below to see another article on the problem with mold in Mobile fire stations.
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-29309-Mobile-Firehouse-Examiner~...

Views: 72

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of My Firefighter Nation to add comments!

Join My Firefighter Nation

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast


Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2019   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service