I know sometimes its optional. Actually I would like to know what everyone does with their gear. Do you keep it at the station, leave it in your vehicle or at the back door for all to trip over?

Views: 505

Replies to This Discussion

I got an equipment bag off of Ebay for $40 to keep my gear in and I keep that in the trunk of my car most of the time. This way if I respond to a call in my own car, I have everything I need without having to stop at the station. The bag is also nice because when we do have a call I just grab the bag out of the trunk and jump on a truck and quickly throw my stuff on when I get to the scene if I don't have time to do it at the station.

If I am at the station for a meeting or something I bring the bag in with me and put it someplace out of the way that I can get to it quickly. An equipment bag I think is the best because it also gives you a place to throw your shoes or a winter coat and keep all your stuff together.
I leave mine at the station, but I live about 4 blocks from my station
i leave it in my car and i have a set at the station just in case
i leave all my gear together in the back of my truck. so no matter what if i take my truck or jump on a truck its right there and easy to get to.
Mine is at the station, but if I'm inbetween the two stations I'll have it on the truck. So of we get a call it's there.
We're a lucky bunch.. I have two sets of issued turnouts. One kept in my firehouse locker and the other at home. Usually we all keep the nicer (new) one at home and the more beat up one at the station. Now if I could just get a pair of leather boots...
hey i do a combination of things with my gear. things tend to get borrowed at the station and not put back and I have taken steps to help with that like stickers on my helmet and my name on my gloves. I even threatened to get a pink wildland helmet after mine walked off for the third time last summer. usually i keep my wildland gear and EMS gear in my vehicle and my clothing is usually hanging on the back of my door of my bedroom. As for my structure gear in the summer I keep it at the station as we tend not to have many structure fires during the summer but in the winter, living in an area that can have temperatures that drop into the -20F range, I keep my gear at home in my mud room so i can slip it on on my way out and not worry about changing into gear that has been at the station which is kept at 50 degrees in the winter time for the pumps but kinda cold to jump into turn outs. last winter i made the mistake of forgetting to bring my gear in on a night when it was about -10F and had to respond to a call. the insulation works both ways i'll tell you it took my boots a hour to finally warm up!
Most of us on my dept keep our gear in our vehicles cause if we aren't close to the station when the tones go we end up going direct to the scene and its easier to have it close. Oh, and Patrick I know how you feel about cold gear. A couple of years ago we had one of the big ones on Christmas nite and it was so cold the water we was loosing on the ground was freezing almost instantly. I made the mistake of taking off my coat and laying it next to a mailbox when I came out on a break, the inside was frozen solid where I had been sweating while inside the house.
I usally keep one of my set in my gear bag at my house or in my truck and i have and old pair at the station just in case. Bit i agree a gear bag is the best bet it keeps all your stuff together and you dont have to look for it all when the tones go off.
Greetings brothers and sisters! Being at the farthest reaches of our district here on the eastern Shore of Va. I allways carry my gear in the truck with me at all times. I can pull over when toned out and be able to arrive on scene all geared up, usually before our trucks arrive. This way the scene can be accesed and reported to all incoming units and personel.
Everybody except for the chiefs are required to keep their gear @ the station, regardless of how far away they live.

I think there are pros and cons to this, but to each their own.
I keep my gear in my truck because I respond to both station .

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service