I was just wondering how many areas are having problems with people pulling over when you approch them or yield the right of way to you when responding on an ER, wheter in your POV or in an apparatus.

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

They do pull over, eventualy, the way i see it they think that we are wasteing their time, they dont like to pull over untill we are right behind them blasting the air horn in their ears
From my experience, it seems that areas that are more rural and volunteer get a better response to lights. I think this is due to the fact that they are either related to someone or know someone on the local department. The bigger cities tend to have bigger issues with this. I had a chief when I started that would say, drive the big truck in the middle of the road. You are bigger, they will move.
So true we had one lady throw her arms up like "what do you want me to do" type of attitude.
Ours is a combination department, the area coverage is mostly residentitial, kind of a cross between mid class and upper class residents.
our department is all rural and when responding in an apparatus we usually get people to stop or pull over as some of our roads are very narrow and to reiterate the truck is bigger. i have found when reponding in my pv that the help with wig wags and led's in the grille along with a mini lite bar people tend to pay more attention to me, but as responders we still need to drive defensively and with common sense as the fire truck is no good when involved in a wreck when needed at a fire.
Thats is so true The Equipment does no one any good in a wreck as well as if the personnel end up in one too.
I agree 100% with that. They don't need to have to deal with another accident if they are on the way to a call. They would need to put out another page if that would be the case.
Eventualy most people pull over but not untill i've gotten over to pass them. Most people pull over faster for me when we're just driving down the road non emergency. Most of the time we're going to the store to get things for dinner. I think that there needs to be more time spent on this in drivers ed classes. Most young people have no idea just how fast we are comming up on them.
we have alot of people around here that dont pullover or yield to us until we are right up on them. then they hurry out of the way like they just now realized your there. i think people need to be more aware of their surroundings when they are driving down the road

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service