This short video provides a little insight as to how to manage a contaminated patient / victim, regardless of whether they are ambulatory (able to walk) or non-ambulatory (requires litter transport). What is key about this video is that it is directed at hospital personnel. This is a very appropriate mind set that you must have when dealing with a WMD event. Hospitals and planners all assume that the fire department will be responding to the hospital to help set up decon, just like they did during the annual hazmat exercise drill... The truth of the matter is that if there is an incident that is impacting the hospital with a surge of victims, we, the fire department are going to be tied up for awhile. Hospital personnel must realize that they have to be self-sufficient. We cannot always be there.

" /">

Views: 100

Replies to This Discussion

It is really sad that we have to think and possibly deal with WMD. :o(
I think the best part about the Nevada Radiation class was the decon portion. Anniston was OK, the instructors that I had were to worried about dipping the scissors to be effective though. The method taught in Nevada was one of the best I have seen.

Of subject a little, how are you guys extricating your own from suits if they go down? Do you decon and cut? We have been taught the swipe, with a towel, and cut with a seat belt cutter to get them out fast. This method can also be done for regular decon if you know you are going to trash the suits anyhow. I know most of use will clean and reuse suits if we are certain that it was a fairly benign environment and that the suit was most likely not even contaminated.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service