Hey, I sent everyone a message, but would be interested in the forum also. I am looking at new pathways to try and "attack" the Residential Sprinkler issue. More times than not, we lose this battle due to "lack of proper information, and facts". While the issue of cost of the home is always being successfully used to deter community leaders, or code leaders to require these systems, do they have all the facts. I think not....I believe we really need to concentrate on money versus money. Builders don't want it due to increased cost. Fire Officials should find out what is lost dollar for dollar by insurance companies after fires without sprinklers. Is the money lost by these companies, greater than if the system were in, and the fire controlled? Just some thoughts.....Be safe...Your Friend MIKE

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

In Rhode Island they don't even mandate a fire alarm system thats interconnected until its a 3 family home. I feel we as fire code enforcement are swimming against the tide for code enforcement. They are adding more of the building codes into the fire codes, and thats only complicating us further.
Hey, Prince George's County has had a Sprinkler Ordinance since 1982 and mandated in 1989. First in the state now since 2006 all the other counties have started following suite. We did not have a lot of resistance. We also mandate all new construction since January 2006 that also CO alarms must be installed. We even as of 2005 mandated that all multi family dwellings require a smoke alarm to an alternate power source. Only one guy a pos in Langly Park that owned a 4 unit building did not want to comply so we gave each unit a 10 year lithium based battery smoke alarm. If you go to www.msfa.org and look under committees for the Sprinkler Program you can see all the counties that have started to get new construction sprinkler systems.

Now NIST is working on an after market sprinkler system but I am not quite sure that it is ready to roll. Still too expensive. Right now I think it is between $3-$6 a square foot and they are trying to get it down to about $1.50 a square foot so more can afford the program.

Other than that we as in PG County are not up against much, the County Council is very supportive to the programs.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service