Most people think that chili is the favorite food in a firehouse.Personally I havent made that for the kids in 12 years.They wont let me since they've tasted all the other dishes I've made.They tell me my ribs are their favorite for a main course,but my Portabella/Shrimp scampi appetizer is to die for.I don't do desserts or breakfasts but I kick ass on lunch and dinner.Let's hear what y'all do fer vittles....

Views: 487

Replies to This Discussion

MMMMMMMMMM Ribs YUMY
ok here we go, this is a topic very near and dear to me. In my DPt we have the overhaul plate. What is this you ask?? Well it is two burgers over homefries,mac salid coverd with a zesty greek hot souce. This is a ground beef base sauce not like BBQ. No buns for the burgers. I like to add onions and musterd and wash the whole thing down with Maloxs LOL. They are a nice once a month treat.
We have a few members in My DPT that enjoy cooking for the guys, be it hot's and burgers or stuffed mushrooms and stakes.( treat from the Chief at X-mas time ).
Sounds great,tell us more about the stuffed mushrooms please,as that is my specialty for appetizers.
yes Robbie we are having them at tuesday's meeting.remember to vote for me next month
They are a specialty of our Prezz he keeps the recapie to him self.lol
About the 5th of the month, I cooked dinner for the department Christmas Party. I cooked a 35 lb Roast Beef, 35 lb of Frest Pork which the person that picked it up thought that it was a ham, so I glazed it like a ham with brown sugar, pineapple juice, cherry juice and a jar of honey. Cooked it for 9 hours and let me tell you it was out standing... The Roast Beef, I was told was also good. The kicker to the dinner was a five cheese Mac & cheese.
Lets have the recipe.
Portabella/Shrimp Scampi...1 package Baby Portabella shrooms(I suggest you at least cut them in half or quarters for the larger ones), AT VERY LEAST1/2 lb. of shrimp (I use "colossal"0-15 ct.peeled and deveined)10 cloves garlic(smashed or diced or both)Fresh Cilantro(to taste)or 1/2 cup, grape tomatoes(1 pack),black olives sliced (1 small can) 2 jalepinos chopped,1/2 Large green pepper(chopped),1/2 Large red pepper(chopped),1tsp oregano,pinch basil,chicken stock(swansons broth box)Vegetable oil,1/2 stick clarified butter(skim the white off when you melt it before you use it).All purpose flour.

In a large skillet...Oil to cover pan bottom (about 1/2 cup),heat oil till you see the heat ripples,add butter,add garlic,let cook for 1 min till softened,add mushrooms,peppers(all),olives,1/2 of the cilantro.Let cook for 3 mins.Add shrimp,cook till they just start to turn pink,add chicken stock to cover 1/2 of the mixture in pan.Let simmer till shrimp turn pink fully,add chicken stock again to compensate what has cooked down,add flour to thicken to a smooth loose texture.Remove from heat lat stand 5 mins uncovered. Pour mixture over any kind of pasta that you prefer(and if you need the recipe to cook pasta dont try this recipe as your first attempt at cooking).....
OK Cap, I tried yours and it was wonderful! Here's one of my faves...hope you like it.
This is my own version of that great artichoke spinach cheese appetizer you get at a lot of restaurants anywhere. I took it to our Company Christmas party, and it was the favorite!

Wendy’s Arti-Spin Cheese Dip
½ cup of olive oil, 4 Tbs. Butter, 1 large onion finely diced, 4 tbs. Minced garlic
Combine oil and butter in sauce pan over medium heat, when butter melts add onions and garlic, sauté until clear. Sprinkle 6-8 tbs. flour over sauté and whisk in. Cook for five minutes.

Stir in 1 ½ cups of stock, and ½ cup white wine. Simmer five minutes. Transfer to crock pot on highest setting. Add 1 pint half and half, heat thoroughly while stirring constantly. Add ½ C. grated parmesan cheese, 8 oz cream cheese, 8 oz feta cheese, 8 oz mozzarella.

When cheeses are melted and thoroughly combined, add 12 ounces frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained and wrung out by hand) and 1 or 2 cups of artichoke hearts (suit your taste) (I prefer the marinated type and lots of artichokes!)

If you like it creamier, add ½ - ¾ C. sour cream. Just before serving stir in 1 Tablespoon lemon or lime juice. Serve with chunks of sourdough bread, pita bread, mini bagels or baguettes. Enough appetizers for 25 people or a meal for a dozen!
HMMMM Feta cheese in the mix,huh? Never would have thought of that.I'll whip that up tonite for the monthly meeting. Glad you liked the scampi,The recipe is so easy to add what you wamt to it,I think that I will try A tomato paste or sauce next time.I'll let you know what happens...and thanks for you recipe.
It's pretty adaptable. You can combine whatever cheeses you like, I happen to like the pungent flavor of feta mixed in. The cream cheese is the only one I wouldn't substitute. If you like the milder flavors, use canned artichokes that aren't marinated and use milder cheeses, and skip the lemon or lime juice. I like to make things up or adapt recipes to suit my taste. I like comfort foods, a lot of my own recipes are feel good food.
Here's an easy dessert for you...chop up some leftover cinnamon rolls and throw them in a greased glass baking dish, cover with eggnog and let stand for fifteen minutes. Add enough additional eggnog to cover rolls. Bake at 350 until knife comes clean (30 minutes - 1 hour depending on pan size). My favorite bread pudding!
BIG HOUSE COOKING NOT THAT HARD TO DO. I NEED TO KNOW FROM SOME BIG HOUSES COOKS WHAT YOU COOK FOR THE MEN&WOMEN OF YOUR HOUSE.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service