Hi Folks -

I've just taken charge of FASNY's statewide recruitment and retention committee and I'm curious to know how FASNY can support your local efforts.

Our committee has determined that our time and talents are most productive at what I've dubbed the Clearinghouse and Tools & Education levels of addressing R&R issues.

Keeping in mind that we can't do the trench work - the actual recruiting for you, what tools and resources can we provide that you can leverage to make your job more effective at recruiting and retaining qualified members?

So, if FASNY were to "come to your town" and help you recruit and retain volunteers, what would our solutions look like? High tech, high impact web site? Comprehensive recruitment toolkit? Hands-on Recruiter training? Legislation for increased tax breaks? More volunteer scholarships? What?

We're offering you the opportunity to get involved at the ground floor of a renewed effort on behalf of FASNY. For us to be successful in making you successful, wWe need your feedback.

We'd like to hear your wish list.

Views: 134

Replies to This Discussion

Tiger, thank you for the response. What I was thinking about for recruitment was some thing along the line of setting up a recruitment program with the help of FASNY, is there any type of training for volunteer fd's to get? I will also take suggestions on making a web site, how can I get more information on te scholarships for volunteers?

thanks
Chris
Chris -

What kind of training are you looking for? Hands-on recruiter training?
Hi Andrea -

I apologize for not having time right now for a more extensive reply to your question, but I'll leave you with this from my Top 10 Commandments for Recruitment and Retention:

The First Commandment: KEEP IT SIMPLE.
Think of your recruitment challenge in simple terms. If each of your existing members recruited just one new member – what effect would that have on your roster? You do the math.

Word of mouth is still the best form of recruiting. Think about it: Who makes a better reference/referral than firefighters themselves?

The reality is that this isn't a 5-minute conversation and I have no magic wand solution that's going to work for everyone. If your department is serious about getting some help - and helping themselves, let's chat.

Stay safe. Train often.
That's a good approach - focusing on retention before recruitment. If more departments would adopt that attitude, they'd have to spend less time and energy on recruitment. Notice I said less - not "none."

It's a good idea financially, if for no other reason. How much does it cost to recruit and train a newbie compared to the small investments needed to keep our trained and experienced teammates happy?

While we have to remain focused on retention, inevitably we need to be always on the lookout for our next replacement.

And you're absolutely right about sharing the responsibilities for R and R. I'm convinced each fire department needs a human resources officer these days.

The Sixth Commandment:
Whose job is it to recruit new members? Everyone’s - not just the chief or the membership committee. Work as a team to build a bigger, better team.

Drop me an e-mail to tiger@tigerschmittendorf.com and I'll send you all 10 commandments.

Keep up the hard work.

Stay safe. Train often.
I think that it is a great idea to have a place for sharing ideas. To discuss what works and what does not. We are in the infancy stage of building a retention and recruitment program, and welcome ideas. Of course, we have the opportunity to go directly to the source (Howdy Tiger!) but anyone that believes that they know all there is to know, knows very little at all. Looking forward to sharing thoughts and ideas.
Chief Schmittendorf,

I enjoyed your latest article "From X-Box to the Box Alarm". I have a couple of questions if you don't mind regarding the I-Generation. Seems that the few potential members that we have had from this generation have for the most part stopped participating all together. Or they show up on an irregular basis. And you are correct that they tune into "WIFM" radio (What's In it For Me). They don't want to put in the time to learn and train, yet get upset and pout when they are not allowed to do things on a scene. Any suggestions on how to reach this generation not from a recruitment standpoint but from a acknowledgement and respect stand point for rules, regulations and training.

I Thank-you in advance for any insight that you may have.

Hondo

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service