We were called to a gas line broken and on fire on the side of a resedential single family home. By the time we got there the fire was out but the gas was still blowing out. The line was broke in half just like it had been hit with something, but it couln't have been hit just by looking at it and where it was located. My Captain told me to turn off the gas, so myself and the senior firefighter on our dept went todo so. The wrench did not fit because the valve was to close to the ground so we took a vise grip pliers and turned it shut. It turned very hard so we both grabbed on to the wrench. As we tried to figure out what caused the line to break, a very large and loud arch of electricity blew up on the gas line in the same place. It was herd a block away by our 2nd in truck. A tree touching the top of the house touched the power line, and this gas line was the shortest way to ground. I'm no electrician but it happened to me and less than a minute after we took our hands off that metal wrench. If I was to die in the line of duty I would wrather it be in some blaze of glory, know what I mean? Not like that. The lesson I learned is NEVER let your guard down no matter how simple things may seem. Stay safe.
Kurt

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, can see that happening... We are always told to do a 360, but sometimes we forget to look up as well...
Things that make you question why are we here... Then you realize why! Hydro flashes and arks a pretty scary!
I'm a linesman for communications full time. I'm not that far from the Hydro lines.... Have seen some amazing stuff happen. Belong to a group "EUSA" they used to come by at least every 6 months to keep us up to date on what has happened with injuries.
How about, if there is no fire....call the gas company. We have had a few close calls with gas in our area. Some of you may remember a couple of years ago the one that was on the cover of Firehouse. They had a large gas line in the street struck, the utilities set it off. We had a house explode that had a gas leak. Long and short lesson learned, protect yourself and your exposures. What are we saving by shutting the gas off? The gas company's money is all. Be safe and think smart. I bet you won't do it again either. Also, make sure if you are going to do it, use either non sparking tools or a tool wrapped with a towel to prevent you from becoming the ignition source.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service