Last night I responded to a seizure call. Upon arrival, we found a 26 y.o. female on the bathroom floor with a bloodied nose, shaking but not seizing. We were told by police on scene that she had a Hx of seizures from a TBI 4 years prior. They said the seizures were psychological since her brain activity has been monitored during seizure and there is no change in the activity. We boarded & collared and took her to the hospital, all the while she was complaining and being a general nuisance. After she was admitted we found out that she had been an EMT and was involved in an accident 4 years ago where she sustained the head injury. She had to move in with her parents. We couldn’t start a line because her veins were in such bad shape. She had a port removed that day and is scheduled to get a new port sometime next week. She will probably be institutionalized since her parents cannot deal with the constant supervision that she requires. During the ride back from the hospital, all we could think about was how at 22 her life and her family lives were forever changed. So was this call ALS, BLS or BS? I can’t figure it out, but I’m sure I’ll spend days thinking about it.

Views: 71

Replies to This Discussion

i think that would have to be als....even though she wasn't having a seizure she must have some major brain problems from that accident and maybe she has just needed instutionalized for a while and her parents just didn't want to face it
I don't think it was B.S. If she has a Hx of seizures from the TBI, it is likely that she wasn't faking it, but she should be on meds for the seizures, and the family shouldn't be suprised when she has a seizure. I don't know, it is a good one to give us some thought.

Thanks for posting the story.

Ruck
FF/EMT

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service