Why Does the Older Firefighter Have a Problem with Juniors/Explorers?

in my company there r very few firefighters that like the junior program is that the same in every company or jus mine and how come kids say stuff about us calling us wanna bes if they only really new how much we doo ....

Views: 893

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Brother, Iam a Jr. with woodsdale. But We dont have that problem. We have get to do the dirty work basiclly all the time. But everyone in our department likes the Jrs. Now, Iam not bragging or anything but i dont know if my dad being the capt. has anything to do with it or not.
I guess I would be one of the older guys. I will say this. If they only knew half of what you know, They would be a better person towards other people. Anyway, Just like the person above me wrote, Have them join and find out, Even if they only learn CPR, They learned how to save someone possibly.
HEY EXPLORER PROGRAM IS GREAT IF YOU STICK IT OUT ALL 3 OF MY DAUGHTERS ARE AND WERE IN IT OLDEST HAS NOW GRADUATED INTO PROBIE OTHER 2 LOVE IT TOO
I know many of us here would agree. I have recently as of last April crossed over to be a full pledge firefighter. Being a cadet/junior the senior guys were hard on us but they do it for a reason. THey only treat you that way because trust me when I say this it will make you a better firefighter. You will learn faster and will know what you are doing. Being a cadet/junior is the perfect time to built up your common sense and BELIEVE ME it comes in handy. stay safe
I agree with Joe on this.I received the same treatment as a Explorer.An in my 8th year after reading this they are hard on you guys for a reason.DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY.When they call you a "Wannabe" tell them, "Thats why I'm Here."Be Respectful however.They are helping you,and They Accept you.Train,Learn,Watch,LISTEN,& STAY SAFE.Fallow those 5 things and keep your grades up,and you'll be ok.
We had a girl collapse today during class and she picked on me all the time well I betcha she won't pick on me now!She was unconscious and I called 911 and stayed on the phone with them while I got her vitals and stuff...I'm not the firefarter or the fire fagget anymore to them.
okay bud it must just be at your station or mabey its just you, this really matters. I know where Im at we encourage young people to get involved in the fire service. I am over the Fire Explorer program in our county Post 560. You might want to check yourselfs rethink about how you act around the older guys and what you say around them, and if you still feel it is them trying to hold you back then go to your cheif officers and express how you feel and if nothing comes out of it then go to a department that is willing to teach and train you and bring you and all the younger generation firefighters up into the ranks. One thing is for sure you are the future of the Fire service, but it does work both ways make sure you are willing to listen and learn and put your hands on and do some work. You have to earn respect in the Fire Dept to get the respect that you are looking for. I know I see alot of the young guys around our county doing what ever it takes not to rack hose or break hose down or pick up equipment and put it back on the trucks, and when I see this I get on their ass and let them know that this is part of it YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE the harder you work the more respect you gain. Nothing in life is free and to be a respected FireFighter takes years of hard ass work.
This is coming from a smoke eater for 32 years...me.Who's picking on you?Classmates?Oh well,get over it,they'd probably pick on you for something else if it wasn't Fire Dept. related.As far as the older members not wanting change...get over it,every dept is like that whether they want to admit it or not.You ARE the future of Firefighting and if you have a thin skin now, it won't get any better.Do your job and as I tell my kids (who I support fully)...mouth shut ears open ask questions and learn alot.Ask the older guys what ever you need to know and their attitude may change when they see that you need to know what they know.As I see it ,the older guys are probably just afraid of being left out of the future.At any rate just hang in there and keep on keepin' on.(oh,and the kids at school arent nearly as cool as you are,women love men in uniform).
i know wat u mean it use to be like that in our company but the guy that use to say that found out that we did bust our tails doing thing they told use to do. So i know were u coming from.
Hang in there....even adult "newbies" or probies catch a lot of crap....its sort of a tradition I guess....Can be hard to accept someone new untill they have proven themselves...Ours is a strange relationship....we HAVE to be able to depend on one another....our lives depend on it....So just do your job and do as you are told....one day soon you will be accepted as one of the team.....remember we have all been through this...you will survive as we did.....Stay safe....and always keep the faith..........Paul
We just stated an explorer program at my station(so far good). Explorers can be very helpful at a scene. I think a semi independant explorer program is a good thing for depts. It allows explorers to hold there own training classes without getting looked over or pushed aside by older members. so explorers need to tough it out a get the training and experience early so they can be ready for the show without tunnel vision or letting their emotions control them. I did not start as an explorer but i think it would have made me a better ff if i had. by the time explorers are full time members they already have 2 years of experience i didn't have when i started.
This was handed to me 12 years ago by my company officer...now I pass it on to my new firefighters. It can work for explorers...
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service