I know I shouldn't have to post this,but the question has been posed to me a few times by the public an members of Emergency Services alike.I always thought,and as I was told when younger it was"SO YOU CAN SEE YOURSELF IN THEM."A nice recruitment tie in there,and just what a little boy(or girl)wants to hear/do.But I feel it represents Pride,Honor,Duty,Care,And A Clean Image to the pubic.Especially since there's been a lot of bad publicity lately all over the place.So,what reason where you given/do you/would you give as an answer to this question? 

Views: 857

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Because the guy with the shiny white helmet said so .
Because on many stations there's nothing else to do perhaps????
Ha. I have no idea. I've never heard this questions asked, or even thought of it. Aren't all vehicles shiny if you keep them clean? Or was that the point?
No one wants to see a dirty firetruck.
That's called having wwwwwaaaayyyyy too much money and some may even say possibly inappropriate use of public money....
Waste of time, waste of money.....

It actually shits me to read that sort of thing happens! :-(
Why would this type of thing give you diarrhea? You need to settle down and not get upset to the point where you loose you bowels over it Lutan... LOL...

Using the word 'shits' is probably something like me describing my 'fanny' pack. It's all in the translation between OZ and the states...

Anyway...

Whether it be full time or volunteer, there is always going to be some down time and it was not uncommon to see one of the better engineers out in the apparatus bay with my firefighter, waxing and cleaning the water spots off the pump panel. For us, it was not so much for parades as it was to protect the surface areas from the effects of corrosion. My fire station overlooks the Santa Barbara Channel Islands and the salt air is tough on everything.

Another point that makes it not a waste of time is the ability to clean the engine up after a call or driving through mud. A waxed surface is a lot easier to maintain in the long run. You even see this with the USFS Crew Vehicles. The dust easily washes off a slick surface.

A clean fire engine is a happy fire engine.

CBz
You show pride in your service, your crew, your station, your department, your city and country, and respect for the citizens you service by being a good steward of the equipment your are issued.

You need to keep apparatus clean, well-maintained and ready for the next call, whether it's a fire or career day at the elementary school makes no difference!

But the same thing goes for the rest of your equipment as well. Wipe down the tanks on your SCBA, wipe down your helmet once in a while, make use of the turn-out washer and dryer if your department has them, keep the bays swept and painted, keep the grass mowed, black boots shiny, uniform shirts clean and pressed, and clean shave, and winning smile for everyone!

We take care of our equipment, including cleaning and shining our Fire Engines because we are proud of what we do and want our bosses (the taxpayers) to be proud of their Fire Department.

Greenman
Tradition, honor,and maintenance
HAHAHAAA!! I think I have a good idea whos "parade trucks" your talkn abo
And I would bet my ass it isn't the "Chief" that cleans and shines it......right..? LOL
They are shiny because I have newbies. It gives them some sense of worth. ;{

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service