Hey Bro's ,
Whats everyones opinion on what seems to be starting as a new trend for fire appartus response, by this I mean the ever popular , "cancell all units or hold everything in quarters"
Now don't get me wrong if the Cheif or any line officer and PD are on scene and there is obviously not a thing going on then I agree hold us there, for safety sake and no need to burn the fuel for nothing. But when PD is not there and the Cheif or line officer is enroute and you can hear over the radio which ever officer (mostly chief) is responding hold in quarters till i asses" that to me is just wrong at the very least roll us code 2 so if the reports to dispatch are wrong we are enroute and just have to light em up to get there quicker. So what do you all think and use and are you seeing this more. Thanks

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree fully that it is a stupid call and the sad fact is at least from what we are hearing over our county dispatch is more and more we are being canceled, stay in quarters most times Police are dispatched as auto cause of how our 911 goes it is a central hub and as we are paged PD is also sent naturally this also depends upon the nature of the call i.e. alarm sounding or structure fire, but with that said even if PD does or does not have fire training they are there as service and protection of citizens so yes the bottom line if any officer takes their word for it they will hang for it should it turn bad.
At the same token a lot of our Police are vollies outside of work but still does not make it right.
We only cancel on auto alarms if the alarm company calls back to advise that htey have recieved proper code for false alarm. If person on scene does not have proper code or calls dispatch directly we continue in. If our police is on scene and advising nothing showing we hold our mutual aid at their quarters( structure call whether alarm or fire is automatic 2 to 4 additional departments depending on building) and we continue in to investigate. If John Q Public calls and says his house is on fire and then calls back and said he made a mistake the full response still goes to his house unless one of our officers or mutual aid officer arrives and cancels everyone.
it really depends on oic and driver , when we get told roll in code 2 we turn off siren but use overhead lights the rest of the way in, if other units are on scene we stop at lights and proceed if just us coming in we use opticom to change traffic light to our favor so we can continue on
My Chief used to do have all of our equipment respond (6-7 trucks) for an alarm, now one engine from the alarm district responds on the assignment for investigation while all others go on standby..
Well as we all see by the responses we pretty much all d othe same when these situations arise no one PD has final say in this matter and shame on the chief or oic that takes anyones word for it without seeing it, I had my share of office room "discussions" when i was Lt. about this same issue and that chief served a shortened stint when i brought it to the membership but i think the more it goes on it is a shame on all of us cause the new crew members will become disheartened and the vets will be complacent no one wins
In most states that is actually illegal...you are either responding or you're not...if your lights are on, your siren is on...don't need a siren, then you don't need your lights...
In the Washington DC area, the police can give an "update" of the situation that is immediately relayed to the units enroute via CAD...they cannot cancel our response to a reported fire, but if they are on the scene of an accident that we are enroute to, find no injuries, they recommend that we cancel our response, but leave it up to the first due unit (who usually cancels everyone)...if they need us for someone who decides they now need to be seen, they just call us back...you also have to remember that although most police departments let you do what you "need to do", you might not actually legally be allowed to do what you are doing...state and local laws all over the country actually place most fire department responses (accidents, driving laws, emergency light use) under police authority...just look at the Dallas Captain arrested on the scene of an accident for not listening to the police officer on the scene...he did the 'ol "I'm the fire department, I'm in charge" thing and it landed him in jail...

The first due engine company (or first arriving truck company) can determine to have all units go in service once they arrive on a reported fire and find out what they have or don't have...they do not need to wait for the battallion chief to arrive...they get paid enough to make those decisions as well...and if they can't determine what is needed or not needed, they shouldn't have sat for the promotional exam...also, we respond either priority 1 (lights/sirens) or priority 2 (no lights/no sirens/go with traffic flow) to our incidents...everyone dispatched by the CAD initially responds priority 1...we are a large, completely paid department so if we're put in service prior to arrival (for whatever reason) it just readies us for the next call...

Just a thought...stay safe...
We always send one vehicle, at least Priority two. We can cancel the back up, but not all rigs. If EMS clears us, we need to know they are on scene (they once cleared us because they were called back and told the pt did not want care, she was a cancer patient and it turned out she needed to be transported). We will only clear if someone else on scene has cleared us.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service