Right thought I might throw this one out there but with NFPA's new replacement policy on bunker gear, why would we look to buy:

a. overly expensive gear?

b. cleaning and decontamination services?

c. anything that lasts less time than 10 years?

d. or listen to anyone that is going to tell us the gear is going to last forever?  (Since we replace it less than infinity squared)

I don't disagree that some gear has needed to be replaced, or scrutinized for the amount of wearlife that it gives, but in the interest of the market competetion between cleaning services, manufacturers etc...  I really do think that for the fire service as a whole this was a really bad plan, especially for large city fire departments, which are all screaming for monetary resources.

I've heard salespeople over the years selling crap, that they really don't understand at all, and told firefighters that this should slice bread and make coffee for them.  Ultimately it does what it is supposed to which is protect them from fire only.  So where is this choice going to ease the tensions/relations between the salespeople/manufacturers and the fire service as a whole.  Just my thought here, but I really think the whole strategy of PPE needs to be revised to better reflect the needs of the service -vs- it's wants.  It also needs to take into account that outer shells (some) last longer than most, and that simplicty can be the key verus trying to create a CBRN set of gear, C'mon what the hell people!  If you are walking into an anthrax enviroment, mustard gas etc, you have the encapsulating suits to take care of this problem, not bunker gear!  Again my humble opinion and really am searching for the reason why all of a sudden we have come up with a 10 year replacement policy?

Views: 3417

Replies to This Discussion

Marni,

I think everyone needs a break now and again, and I'm glad Robert responded and gave me the insight that I was looking for about how the committee debated the issue. I'd rather have all the information versus going off half cocked and giving my opinions and looking like an idiot. If there is anything that I can do to help in the education or in research I'm happy to do, I should be back in the States in Sept. for a bit of a look see to moving back home.

I think everyone tends to wear those glasses, even in Australia there is a lack of approach to the education end, it's nobodys fault, though when the block goes up with the "it's been done like this for the last 20 years...blah blah" I tend to get hot under the collar. At least at home, in the US, there is a bit different approach to that spectrum.

My next task is then to try and get the US, Australia and England to a training standard (or at least agree on something) to where firefighters from all three countries can be recognized on SOME of their courses to help get them through the fire academy faster (rather than do the whole course again... what a waste of time). This again is another battle, but if someone will work with it (any country will do) and realize they are not the masters of the universe in firefighting, then others will follow. By doing this we allow a cross educational pattern to see what works and doesnt from other countries, allowing us to grow as a fire service again. I just don't understand why this hasn't been done before, maybe it's just me...

Thanks again Marni and again please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help in this, as I'm pretty keen to be on board with something that will help the fire service.
Hi Robert, with your involvement in PPE are you seeing departments choosing to train members to conduct the testing in house or use a third party service provider.
Another question Robert, once the gear reaches the retirement age can it not be used as training gear for non-live fire training such as throwing ladders, forcible entry, rescue....

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service