What is your best and worst tools for removing a windshield during extrication?

What Tools have you and your Dept. used for removing a windshield from a vehicle during extrications?

Which tools work the best?  - Why?

Which are the worst? - Why?

any other thoughts?

Views: 4630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

best - saws all with a short blade for metal ,,,

worst - axe, to much time, not accurate enough to much wasted energy ,,,

keep a knife handy for seatbelts ,,,
Glass Master Rescue (glass) saw. Best windshield removal i have ever used, supper fast and very easy.

Worst+ Axe. Enough said

Spring loaded punch is in my turnouts 24/7 for side and rear glass. I also carry a pair of those cheap trauma shears for seatbelts.
Work around them- we try and avoid removing windscreens at all costs.

In my 14 years extricating I can count on one hand the number of times we've had to remove one. In fact if I really struggle and think about it, I can probably only think of two. In those cases, we removed the trimmings and used the same sort of windscreen tool that the commercial windscreen fitters use-

I disagree with the axe sentiment here, I actually found the axe to work very fast and efficiently. Holding the axe close to the head and use short, quick chops goes quick. Although this is moreso to create either a hinge to flop the roof over, or enough to pull the roof right off. No reason just to take the windshield if you aren't taking the roof out some way, IMO.
We only take a windshield out as a very last resort. If we have to flip a roof, we try and do it from the rear forward. We try not to carry glass over a patient. But if we have to cut windshield, we use a saws-all, cuts down on the "glass dust", and pieces of glass flying all over.
I like the GlassMaster, but the negative side effect is lots of flying bits of glass coming back at you when you pull the tool. (Face protection is extremely important.) So I agree with those who would reserve removal as a last resort.
BEST: GlassMaster every time. Works very quickly, although goggles are needed.

WORST: Axe. Too slow and you use more energy than with the GlassMaster.
Sawzall is the best I've used so far.
I'm with Luke - avoid taking the windshield or messing with it at all if you can. It's a waste of time and it creates big hazards, especially if any of the small shards or powdered glass gets into any of the patients' wounds. That can essentially create wounds that won'd heal.

If you have to remove the windshield or other laminated glass such as the side windows on late-model Volvos, the answer for the best tool is "It Depends".

Is the glass mostly intact? If so, an axe, a Glasmaster, or a recip saw with an appropriate blade can all do the trick. If the windshield is torn, or if it has large holes, or is partially ripped from the frame, it might be easier to simply use a baling hook, pickhead axe pick, or a curved crowbar to simply hook the glass edge and pull it out of the frame.

The glazier's tool that Luke shows is fine for the old rubber "U" windshield mounts, but the blades are flimsy and will generally break if they hit one of the clip-mounted windshields. They tend to break up the edges of modern glue-mounted or mastic-mounted windshields, too.
Best tool: Glassmaster glass removal tool. I've seen axe listed as worst but at least it will work. I can think of a couple that would be worse such as the Halligan tool. Or slegehammer. Those don't work too well.
Agree with the Glassmaster and Sawzall both work well. Never tried an axe but I think John may be on to something. We are going to a junkyard this weekend I think I'll give it a try.
I am sure everybody knows this but pull your nomex hood over your mouth and nose to protect airway when using the sawzall on a windshield.
John,
I wasn't a big believer in the axe before, but it does cut down on the dust issue. If you place a hand right below the head of the axe, use short, quick, chops you move pretty fast. We actually did some races during training between an axe and sawzall, axe won each time, plus the dust is minimal and you don't have to worry about blades clogging up, batteries dying or cords in the way, etc. So yeah, try the axe method, it may not be your preference, but if you gave it a fair shake, you would find it is very versatile.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service