What is That one call you will never forget..Sad Funny Rare or anything else...tell us about it

Views: 421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

mine was christmas eve morning 2005. at about o'dark thirty the tones went off for a house fire apprx. 1 mile outside of the city limits. we are a vol. dept. so, i wound up behind the engine in my p.o.v. as we were in route the dispatcher changed the location from 1 mile outside the city limits to 8 miles outside the city limits and not a structure fire but a m.v.a. when we arrived on scene it was a head on collision between a ford explorer pulling a trailer and a honda something or another. the explorer was fully envolved with a ruptured fuel tank. the driver of the honda was intoxicated and entraped. the two victims of the explorer had somehow got out of the vehicle. to this day we still don't know how they got out. the two victims were so badly burned that i thought they were dead. at the time myself and another f/f were the only two medics in the county. i had only been an emt/b for about two months at the time. to complicate things worse, our county did not have an ambulance at the time. we relied on mutual aid from the county south of us. clay county sent an ambulance to transport the two burn victims for us. there second unit (which carried thier only set of jaws) was on another call and would be delayed for another hour. my chief made a mutual aid call to alabama for a set of jaws to extricate the entraped female. it was cold and rainy to make matters worse. it took us apprx. 30 min. to extinguish the vehicle fire (due to the fuel leak) and the poor girl that was entraped had to wait about an hour to extricated. the two burn victims were d.o.a. at the hospital (which was a 20 min ride). the hardest thing for me was when one of the widows came to our station to thank us for doing all we could to save her husband. i couln't even look her in her eyes. i did all i could,at the time i just didn't have the right equipment. now our county has two ambulances and our own set of jaws. hopefully our department will never have that helpless feeling again. that is one call that will stick with me, and i hope to never see again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2021   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service