I thought I asked this before but here in Delaware we just have plain old boring engines, rescues and ladders. I see apparatus called pipelines and squads. Now Pipelines look like engines but squads are everything from engines to rescues to mini pumpers and even ambulance like box trucks.

So my question is; what is a pipeline and a squad

Views: 5648

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of these interesting (and mostly historical) descriptions simply confirms the old adage that describes the Noth American fire service: "Two hundred years of tradition, unimpeded by progress." Why not refer to a truck by the main role(s) it is designed to fulfill: IE. pumper, tanker, ladder, aerial platform, rescue, ambulance, etc.?
A squad is a group of people organized for a common purpose that are trained to deal with a particular kinds of incidences.
Big Mo -- was on the Chicago Fire Department. It was a huge fireboat nozzle on a commecial chassis and had 12 large intakes.
This is the most accurate answer I've read PJ. The term Squad deals with personnel, not the apparatus.
Actually, Lou, in some areas of the country, a Squad does refer to the apparatus.
In my county, a Squad is a light rescue unit smaller than an engine that is equipped for vehicle extrication, medical care, and firefighting support. It may also have a small amount of rope rescue or water rescue equipment aboard.

The "squad" term and what it means is one of those "Where you stand depends upon where you sit" things.
"Rescue"

Well, in NYC, a "Rescue" s a heavy rescue company equipped for firefighting, extrication, rope, water, and collapse rescue work.

In Phoenix or LA, a "Rescue" is an ambulance.

Or, we could confuse it even more and try to describe a "Rescue Squad".
In Maryland or Washington, D.C, a rescue squad is a heavy rescue company.

In Tennessee South Carolina, or North Carolina, a "rescue squad" is an entire organization dedicated to rescue. They are often a volunteer agency that may do EMS, may do physical rescue work, or may do both.
Ralph -- I found some old 16mm footage of Big Mo being used at the HUGE fire at Chicago's McCormick Place Fire of 1967. I'll try to isolate a few frames. The fire took place in mid January, and Mo was encased in ice for weeks following the blaze. Much of the hose used during that fire couldn't be retrieved until spring.

Philly's portable monitor was simply known as the "Giant Deluge" and was built on a Diamond Reo chassis at Wilmington Fire Engine Works. It was once used during an assault on the compound of a black activist group known as MOVE. 3 firefighters were injured in the ensuing exchange of gunfire and one police officer was killed.

Here's a photo of the Giant Deluge from Frank Saia's incredible collection of Philly fires.

It was tiny compared to Chicago's giant masterstream.

Lou
Lou,

Just to clarify your post, three firefighters were wounded. A Police Officer was also shot. He was killed, not a firefighter.
Is that Frank Saia, from Camden?
I agree with you Ben -- Squad now refers to the machine rather than the team.
WestPhilly -- I've made the change as you noted. As I recall Frank was from across the river. He did an oustanding job covering the Meridian Bank fire and so many other Philadelphia jobs.
Across the river - that would be Camden. I'll have to look him up. (Meridian. Long night.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service