In our seminar  Residential Ventilation in a rural setting the other night these where some of the comments.

When do you Ventilate?

Where do you Ventilate?

Why do you Ventilate?

Remembering for every action we make on the fire ground there will be a reaction. Do you do a vertical or horizontal vent hole. And where?

One of the things that stuck out in my mind was this and makes perfect sense when you think about it is.

The most important question up here is why are you venting. For Fire or Life.

We vent for fire because we want the fire to do what we want it to do and go where we want it to go.

We vent for life by taking a window and doing a vent-enter search for a suspected or known victim.

This was the commit: If you do not know why your going to vent then you most-likely shouldn't vent at all.

If we vent in the wrong spot by taking a window for the sake of taking a window we will bring the fire right to us. So if we just had a room and content fire; well now we have a whole structure fire. If we have fire blowing out the roof already is there really any reason to put a guy on the roof?

This was just some of the comments made. If any organization is going to put on a 3 hour seminar I would recommend this one.

Views: 932

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have steered clear of the back and fourth on PPA. It wasn't in the OP topic and usually gets going in a no win - back and fourth debate.... just like smooth bore verse fog.

Have I got experience with PPA? Sure, I watched a fire chief order the fan in use and thought things were getting better because fire attack said they were.... little did he see the roof burning off the back when it pushed it through all of the voids.

From that point forward they were and still are used for moving smoke ie. nuisance alarms from cooking in that department. Work great and doesn't have as much of a chance for adding to extension.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service