When I was a captain we were disptached to assist on a tree into the house that should have been 3 mins away. After 20 mins of riding around I swore I would never get lost again. Now they call me RAnd McNally because if I say get on and lets go I know were I'm going. But I've noticed that alot of officers; 1- don't know neighboring districts 2- can't read maps.
We had an assisit (we do about 85% of our calls as assists) on a 2nd alarm house fire. The area is densely packed and on the ADC Map it shows like 20 streets in an inch area. I had to pull over, take the map from the officer to find the location. I'll tell them, I know the development (but not where the street is) they know they have to find the street as we respond.

There was a run with the nieghboring company to a street that we've been to dozens of times. Why did the incoming cheif get lost.

Is this a problem in my company or others?

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For one thing maps are being phased out I noticed and GPS units are being put in. My dept put in two to the trucks that go on mutial aid. Each has its own advantages over another
It is a problem everywhere brother, that is why response times are documented and are so important. If your company gets together to bring this issue forward on a constructive team level it can be adhered to properly. That is why we bring these issues up to be better saving lives everyday in everyway!!
I have been in that suitation before but not me in the officer seat. I feel you should at least know your own coverage area and a rough idea of your neighboring departments. Because you may find yourself in that seat and need to get there when minutes mean the most

Thanks and be safe!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service