Ok we area a small County Volunteer fire Department, and we have a few older guys that have been on the department for a long time, but we have a lot of really dedicated cadets (16-18) who show up at fire training on a regular basis. we have thought about spliting the two of them in to groups that way they are working on diff levels and the experianced group are not going things we go over and over and over. just looking for ideas for experianced and new people as well. and do you think its a good idea to have them split in to two diff groups? any one that can help please please help me out thanks.

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rotate the cadets through shadowing the vets while they do incident command scenaerios. Have the cadet not be part of that go around and just follow and learn from the vet about what he is thinking and where he is sending ff's during fireground operations. Then switch and have another cadet do the same thing.

TCSS
FETC is right, all you will be doing is creating additional gaps between the members. Getting more people involved is one of the hardest aspects for a volunteer training officer. During my first 6 months I went around to people's homes and businesses and asked them about their participation and ability to make more meetings. Some had reasons to not show up that have been addressed, others just needed the kick in that ass to get them to be more active. Keep things fun and keep things moving. 28 guys standing by while 2 do an evolution slows down the training and makes it hard to get people motivated. Keep the side conversations down, and let the guys have fun at your expense.

I did a spinal training and let the guys put me in the KEDs and on a backboard, and they carted me around the station. The excitement in the boys eyes let me know they where having fun. And lets be real, when folks are having fun, they will be back. They will also spread the word that the trainings are more fun and the others will come.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service