By starting this as a new thread, I'm not pointing the finger at any individual. Let's see this as a way to teach people.

My writing isn't perfect. I make general typos, I make spelling mistakes. Although I always read again before posting, these things happen. For now, forget about spelling mistakes (or have a dictionary next to the keyboard as I have), let's look at the misuse of words.

Many times I've seen the word 'due' used where 'do' is the correct word, this being obvious by the context in which it is used. I suppose this could happen because there are places where the pronunciation for both words is the same?

do - can be used like "that truck needs a wash, I will do it"
due - can be used as "the house caught fire due to an accident"

Can anyone think of other words that could do with clarification? Or have I just wasted a couple of minutes?

Views: 426

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chief:
You may be wrong.
A "protozoan" is: "any of a phylum or subkingdom of unicellular lower invertabrate animals that include some pathogenic parasites of humans or domestic animals".
Props to my biology teacher, Jane Carney.
Perhaps "protege" wasn't what they meant!
I'm just sayin'...
TCSS.
Art
I believe most OS (operating systems) have some form of spell check running at all times. Most browsers have a button called "file". If you click on it, the drop down menu suggests you can edit using Microsoft Word. Or, many downloadable tool bars offer spell check as one of their icons. While I agree that proper grammar and spelling is important, many of us have less than stellar typing habits. Sometimes it is the message that is important rather than the way in which it appears on the screen.
For example, your third thought is not a sentance but a series of dangling participles. It should read this way: "For now either forget about spelling mistakes or have a dictionary next to the keyboard as I have." "Let us look the misuse of words." Personally, I would rather suffer through a few spelling and grammar errors on this website. Usually the men and women who respond here are experienced firefighters and emergency medical technicians. What they have to say, rather than how they say it, are very important to people like me.
Oh, and by the way, Tony, is it? Yes, Tony... I took a ride through your profile page and I noticed you have "two son's". That sterling example of your proper use of English invited me to read on. Right after that, I encountered participles, run-on sentances and a few single words I think you are using in place of a sentance. I also noticed you retired from your job and fell in love with the fire service, which interests me more than your grammar usage, or, rather, lack thereof. My point is when I log on here I look forward to hearing stories from people involved in "chasing down the devil" as one of our constituents puts it, not from people enrolled in their English as a First Language course.
Ted, When I try to use " ' ", it is always with a cringe. Now that I know you are out there, can I tell my wife you are taking over? I bet you noticed the lack of contractions here, did you not? Input is always welcome. Thanks Brother.
No wonder you are a Chief LOL
PS to my page 3 entry. We need to "take" things to where we are going and "bring" things to where we are instead of the other way around.
I go away for two days and find that this thread has gone mad! Mad I say! I feel the need to catch up.

Guerrerita. Due to/because of. Generally seen as interchangeable in many places. Deemed acceptable by MS Word as well. I'll check with my ex-English teacher sister in the morning to get her view.

Art. I agree, extraction is what dentists used to be fond of. Perhaps 'removed' is a reasonable synonym for 'extricated' when talking about a once trapped victim in an MVA?

damnthing. For us, beer often comes in bottles. Gases are usually in cylinders. The Army has tanks. But it all depends on your background! We also call the very large LPG cylinders, those often used for domestic gas supply, as 'bullets' - I don't know why!

jgirl0809. Can I take it that you are talking about my 'sentence' structure? I agree, somtimes I'm sloppy, but I don't pretend to be perfect. I'm also known to 'mangle' grammar for effect - a habit I know annoys some people, but it is a method of emphasis.

I started this thread for a couple of reasons. One, to have people bring to light some of the word usage that perhaps annoys them, has them gritting their teeth. Two, with the hope of generating some laughter. I think I've been successful on both counts. I'm happy.

You 'took a ride' through my profile page - was that on a horse? No matter, I thank you for pointing out my incorrect usage of the apostrophe, I know I do that at times and it annoys me! I never mind having my errors pointed out, I regard it as unsought for help. However I'm bemused that 'retired from your job and fell in love with the fire service' should interest you. Not that I said it anyway, but why should that raise interest?

Padre Pete. Thankyouthankyouthankyou! One of my biggest hates!

An old thread idea. A thread idea that has some people weeping. But a thread idea that strikes a chord with many and has many of us grinning. Keep them coming my friends.

I'll add a little background item about myself. As my sons were growing, I used to annoy the hell out of them by being pedantic. Pedantic about many things. My eldest son mentioned to me a few years ago that he now knew the reason. Because it is such fun! He started doing it with his friends and workmates and realisation struck. He also gets his own back with me now. I'm willing to agree that my family share a warped sense of humour.
I agree.
Tourists have no right to take the scenic route on the backs of the brothers and sisters.
Yet another one who wants to be, but won't shut up long enough to learn.
Dave must have had the filter turned off.
Art
Hahaha, "what on a horse?" You crack me up Tony. You better look for, what we call in Texas, Road Apples. You'll need a wide scoop shovel and a barrel. Makes great fertilizer thou.TCSS
Ah yes, the media and the oxygen we're supposed to be carrying on our backs! I missed that connotation, but very true, we too get that one all the time.
Classic Billy. I'd never heard of Road Apples, or any allusion to horse manure, before. But last night I read in a novel about 'horse apples' - same thing of course!.. About the closest we come is having to clean up the "barkers' eggs" in the back yard. Heard of them? The eggs that dogs lay?
No Tony I have never heard the term barkers' eggs. Stepped in plenty thou. TCSS

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service