I just saw on my local news that a fire dept. in a neighboring county was dispatched to a chimney fire at a house 8 miles away from their station, while a fire dept. within, what the anchor said was "walking distance" was never even dispatched. The reason? Some sort of dispute between the supervisors of two townships. The story didn't explain more, but the bottom line is some homeowner could have lost property and life due to a "dispute" of people who are supposed to be looking after his or her best interest. I think it's disgusting. Has anyone else dealt with anything like this?

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's how it works in my area of Chicagoland too, which is why I said that kind of B.S. would never fly here.
We've had pissing matches in the past with other departments getting the tone instead of us. Here in rural TX, the sheriff dispatches us and sometimes it's been an honest mistake if the dispatcher is unsure of who the territory belongs too. OUr new sheriff and the dispatch center supervisor have put a stop to such shennanigans. Can't wait til E911 gets here, that would solve any problems.
I can think of several names for that goofball. Some rhyme and some don't....LOL
CHARLESTON FIRE DOES THE SAME CRAZY STUFF... OR USED TO.. DRIVE COMPLETLY THROUGH A NEIGHBORS DISTRICT TO GET TO A FIRE. GEOGRAPHIC STUFF.. YOU KNOW... DONT SEND THE CLOSEST FIRE STATION.. JUST THE STATION IN THE POLITICAL SUBDIVISION TO WHICH THE SUBJECT PROPERTY BELONGS... THE SOFA STORE FIRE HAD MUTUAL AID FROM A NEARBY FIRE DEPARTMENT CLOSER TO THE STORE THAN CHARLESTON FIRE!!!! YET THEY SELF DISPATCHED WHEN SHIT HIT THE FAN..
Stop yelling...jeez! LOL

ok I want to try to explain whats going on, Im from somerset county Pennsylvania and i belong to the Sipesville Fire Co. which is about 15 miles from this dept. This really isnt territory dispute, its a dispute between the dept. and the township. The fire dept. wants the township to give them money, which the township offered money but its not want the dept wanted, the offer will bearly cover the cost of supplying them with new turnout gear. So the Fire dept is basicing holding out till they reach an agreement. Dispatch did nothing wrong they hit the tones but the for this certain dept. they are just not responing. Dispatch is aware of this and is dispatching other companys right away. This is just the basics of this dispute that i have been reading in our local newspaper, if you would like more information i can dig deeper or im sure these articles are still on our newspapers website www.dailyamerican.com p.s. my own personal opinion i dont really agree with how they are handling this, i know money is a issue and a key part of a functionaly dept. but there is other ways to handle this. don't just stop responsing what we do is about life safety for civilans and safety of our brother and sisters too.
I would like to add another link that i forgot to add in my above reply if anyone is interested in looking into this. it is www.wjactv.com.
I know that there are laws preventing public safety employees from striking. Key word there being employees. I assume though that there are no laws preventing a VFD from doing this?
Two words; Grow up!
Doug:
When posters make comments of that type, it would help if you would identify where you're remarks are being directed.
There are three pages of comments. Can you narrow it down?
That way, someone won't take it personally if it wasn't directed at them.
And when you discuss dispatching, boundaries, disputes and such, "growing up" is only a small corner of the bigger picture.
IMHO.
Art
I do think there is laws like this for VFDs too. I believe in one of our local news storys the township said if no agreement can be reach they were going to start their own dept. which would cost them more money. Here are some links that can help and the last one even talks about a little bit about the law for not responsing: http://www.wjactv.com/somersetcounty/21151398/detail.html and http://www.wjactv.com/somersetcounty/21175683/detail.html

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service