Structural Stability of Engineered Lumber in Fire Conditions - Free Online Course from UL

Structural Stability of Engineered Lumber in Fire Conditions - Free Online Course

This two-hour presentation summarizes a research study on the hazards posed to firefighters by the use of lightweight construction and engineered lumber in floor and roof designs.

This presentation will allow fire professionals to better interpret fire hazards and assess risk for life safety of building occupants and firefighters.

This research study was funded by the Department of Homeland Security’s Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program.

Objectives:
Provide brief history of events leading up to DHS Grant tests
Identify the fire test hypothesis, parameters, and steps completed in the testing process
Compare tests results (legacy vs. modern construction)
Communicate learnings from our partners representing the fire service
Discuss code recommendations

http://www.uluniversity.us/home.aspx

Views: 173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a MUST SEE. I watched it yesterday, and presented it for department training tonight. A definite addition to the standard building construction classes. I do question some of the load data esp. stationary firefighters. I suspect the times might be a little shorter when firefighters are moving around because of differences between static and dynamic loading.
"....little shorter when firefighters are moving around because of differences between static and dynamic loading"...you are correct on that last statment...
Remember these are target bands for time...be conservative during actual operations and keep reading the building, assessing and reevaluating the risk profile and comparing operational milestones and phases....
Exactly, and I pointed this out to the class.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service