I am 5'4" and 100 lbs of lean, mean, fire-ass kicking machine..and I need gear!
I just started with my department in the fall so I'm still a probie, but on christmas eve I had my first ever fully involved structure fire. I kicked butt and it felt great but there was a lot I couldn't do. Meaning I need to bulk up but also I definately need new gear. My lack of gear fitting properly hindered my ability to help. I'm a size 5 shoe and my hands reflect my size.. I was stumbling over my pants, my suspenders weren't small enough, my gloves were practically useless as my fingers barely extended into the palms, and My jacket is huge! So I'm wondering about brand names and what not so I can make a sort of 'wish-list' of gear.
As it is we have a shortage of small gear in my department,
meaning I have gear that does not function well at all as illustratedn above..BUT I'm hoping if some of you ladies have a nice set of gear, you could tell me what kind it is and what sizes. Theres a fire supply store right near me and I'm looking to at least try a couple brands.

Thanks and stay safe sisters!
<3

Views: 2383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is actually illegal for them not to provide you with the correct gear. Look it up in OSHA, you state revised code and other sources. It is the employers responsiblity to make sure you have the appropriate safety gear. This does not matter whether you are paid or not.
For gloves try Pro-Tech 8 as they have excellent fit for female firefighters and go down to size XXS. The fit is more tailored; not the typical bulky structural gloves and not just shorter fingers which alone won't solve your problem.
whoowhoo go kali!
rip 'em a new one, o goddess of destruction!
and true, he has not had this oppertunity, though my fingers are stubby. (:
read all who camment already at you maybe they got the info just for you ok ..i hope you can find the right fit for you,,,^_^
We have two women on our department.
They were fitted for their gear, same as the guys. They have gear that fits.
Glove and boot size were to their specifications. It isn't that difficult to get gear that fits.
Caroline; the only reason you have ill fitting gear is because you have gear that has been laying around the station. The tight asses on your board needs to cough up some money to get you gear that fits. You cannot climb a ladder if your feet slide out of your boots. You cannot hold a tool if your entire hand can fit in the thumb of the glove and your helmet will not stay on unless you have a ratchet suspension and a chin strap.
But understand something. It costs around $2500 to fully outfit a firefighters with today's CBRN/NFPA compliant turnout gear, so I hope this isn't a passing fancy and once the investment is made, you stick it out. Getting gear that fits would certainly increase those chances.
Kali; there are several cleverly disguised salesmen in our membership. Some even show cleavage in their profile pics.
TCSS.
Art
Hi Kali,

I do work for Pro-Tech 8, no problem to acknowledge that. My comments are based on many testimonials from and conversations with female firefighters and I wanted to share that with Caroline.
From your comments it is apparent you have used earlier models as the most recent TITAN model has a totally different inner liner system. Bonded and sewn in at each finger tip and using a different material, essentially earlier liner issues have been eliminated.
Caroline described her petite size 5 shoe as reflecting her petite hand size. Based on that info I expect she would want a more tailored fit in addition to a better fit at the fingers.
Hi Caroline,

No one here is getting rich selling the "petite female firefighter's glove" market if you know what I mean. Honestly, we have had some very passionate comments from female firefighters regarding our gloves and I know from them that it can be a very frustrating issue, plus a safety issue! That's all, just wanted to share what I knew. Good luck!
thanks dear! (:
i did some research and was impressed by the amount of money for a paira boots, but i am sure as i can be that this is not a fleeting passion of me, though i think my lack of fitting gear, is my departments way of still questioning it.
though i do have a question, regarding leaves of absence. i will be going to college most likely far from my town therefore unable to make calls unless im home on breaks; something my department is fine with.
do you think this will hinder my ability to get fitted gear? i plan on joining the local department wherever my college of choice will be so will i go through this same process?
thanks for the lengthy and well-thought response art
I would also highly recommend the new Glove Corp Blze Fighter gloves if you can get a pair to try. I got a demo pair and they have been the best gloves I have ever worn. The stay dry and fit really well. I have small hands, medium fire gloves, and all the gloves I have ever worn stink for dexterity. I will be buying more of these for my other gear for sure.
Caroline:
In some college towns, they will give free room and board at the station to college kids who volunteer as firefighters on their department. May be a way to get through on the cheap.
The only question I would have is: after college, are you returning to your current place of residence, or will you be moving to your new place of employment after college?
Unless you can find a bargain, I would be surprised if they plunk down the $2500. Having your own gear would certainly allay any fears if you want to get on a department. I would first find the gear that properly fits you and then, start the negotiation process. Again; if they have you on their department, then they are required by the OSHA PPE standard to properly fit you. It's that simple. The only reason I mention getting your own gear is because you may be moving some over the course of the next few years and having your own lets you go right to work. Waiting on someone else to get you proper gear could take some time. It just keeps you on the sidelines is all.
TCSS.
Art
Here is a few questions to you. 1. How much Money does your department have and do they have enough in thier physical Budget to get you gear? Second What is your training level do to the fact you may be really green to the fire service and if you have a Department who is going through a budget crisis like most are right now they may have given you a set of turn outs to train with but they are for training only cause its all they have. I see this a lot due to the way the economy is and with Budgets being so tight they may have to wait for thier new physical budget to come in before they can order you turnouts to fit. They may have given you a big set to get you buy but to atleast let you get to train in for time being. I hate to say it but if you couldn't go and respond on fires but can train and train and train, I would give you a bigger set of gear to get you throught some training. (that is only if I didnt have the proper size of gear to fit you is the only way I would give you a bigger size) Check all avenues to make sure your not out of text before you say or do something you might regret later though.

Is it right probably not but I must say if you cant respond to fires but can do training I would have you wear something a little big also to train in to get you through the training till we could get you gear that fit. I wouldnt let you go on any fires though untill you had the proper fitting gear. I would check all my angles before I make a huge issue. If they are

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service