The other night we came across a situation where a car hit a pole and smashed the drivers side at the A pillar, the steering column was destroyed and the car was still running, we could not access the key.

What are your thoughts and ideas on alternate ways to shut down a running vehicle?

Views: 512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

plugging the tailpipe assumes the exhaust system is intact - not always the case is a car that is either a) old or b) recently in a bad accident. I think this method is worth a shot, but only because it is really quick and easy (crunching the tailpipe with the jaws). It gives you something to do while you retrieve the CO2 extinguisher!
Fuel shut off switch thats in the trunk are passenger kick panel in most cars todays.

Other then that wait and watch the engine over heat and it will turn its self off(blown engine) since the radiator would have been destroyed.
new cars are F.I. pull the neg. batt. cable. No power no gas.
There is no single method that will work for all vehicles. The method you use will be determined by whats available to you. If you can get to the Battery, always cut the cables before you try anything else. Then you need to either remove the fuel supply or air supply, whichever is easiest. In my opinion, if the steering column is crushed then I'm not really going to be too worried if I get dry chem in the engine! Do what you gotta do! Just do it safely!
though of course, if there's an exhaust leak, in the system, the engine may not die and the victim and the rescuers can be overcome with the fumes.
power comes from the Alt. when engine is running. Like mentioned earlier, cutting cables from battery won't kill the engine unless the alternator is bad. you would have to disconnect the alt.
Does that hold true after cutting both neg. cables, the main one going to the engine and the small one going to the body?
If you cut the negative battery cable(s), positive cable(s), then cut the main line from the battery to the alternator, this will cut off all electronic fuel pumps, and injection. Some vehicles will run without the battery, they can run with just the alternator. Remember that most diesel trucks will have two batteries. Older vehicles, simply pull or cut the main distributor coil line.
As far as hybrid vehicles, the batteries are in the trunk, there will also be an emergency shut off in the trunk for them.
Several european vehicles have the batteries in the trunk making access harder. These should have cut off switches in the trunk also, most are marked with a warning label. (Some models of SAAB, BMW, Volkswagon).
Stuffing something into the exhaust will take time and the vehicle will not die right away. This will also cause a build up of pressure in the exhaust system, creating problems for responders and CO for the occupants, and possible blowing out whatever (banana) from the exhaust.
As far as access the the engine compartment, if the manual release is not accessible, use the pike on a haligan tool to poke a hole in the corner of the hood, about 6" from the front and drivers side, then using the haligan as leverage, peel the skin back and you should be able to access the release cable, if not peel back more to get to the latch, it doesn't take that long.
We had one on the highway once, it was a rollover with 2 firefighters entraped. Took almost 45 mins to extricate one, the car wouldnt shut off by the key, couldnt access the fuel lines, so we popped the hood disconnected the battery, and pulled the sparkplug wires off.
The vehicle cannot run on the alternator if the negative battery cable is disconnected. By cutting the neg cable, you've interrupted the circuit. The alternator is, after all, charging the battery. I'd like to think that 37 years as an auto tech would have taught me something.

As to why I would be angry about wasting the engine to shut it down, maybe it's my years dealing with "pre-owned" auto parts, including used engines. If the vehicle is still running, it is likely that the engine is still usable, and as such, worth some money after the vehicle is towed to the yard. Some engines can command a pretty fair amount of coin, depending on mileage. Squirt dry chemical into it and it's just become worthless, except for ancillary items, which aren't what gives the engine its value. There is no comparison to cutting the roof off. I've never bought a used roof, or even heard of anyone buying one.

Well, there was that old Volkswagen Bus roof, with the sunroof and sky windows...
Nice idea. I like it.
That is not true. Have you ever started a car and remove the battery? The battery does not power the car; it starts it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service