what is everybodies departments rules about shaving and packing up. im just curious cause our department doesnt really have a rule or sop regarding this, but i have heard of it being a rule in other dep. that you have to be clean shaven or you cant pack up.

Views: 1876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that's how most of us read your words Shareef. Those that don't should read your posts here again - all of them. And as for stealing the thread, I think it is all generally in line with the OP, just half a step sideways!

We have one member who wears a full beard, he is only allowed external duties. We have one member that wishes to keep his long moustache - he sees that he's going to have to restrict himself to external duties. They can both do this as we're volunteers. Luckily theres always at least one job to do outside the structure no matter how short handed you are, but it does restrict operations somewhat.

My own opinion on the matter is along the lines of that expressed by FETC. Positive pressure BA should mean that even with a poor seal, you should still have safe air to breath. But it will increase air usage through wastage, and so limit the available time for a person with such a seal to be 'on air'. That limitation can affect operations.

How can you not have standards for grooming and how you dress. Aussie's need to get more uptight like us in the states. You need more rules and regulations! How can you function being so laid back? : ) Cheers, SB MIke
No they would rather loose them to LODD.....That's their sandbox.....this is ours...lets do what has been proven to be right.......Paul
Our departments rule is or sop we do not shave we don't pack out. But we can have a mustache as long we keep it clean. If we don't we shave we can be until rote up for it.
MISTAKE... This reply for our brother Tony P from the land down under... Not for Mike in Kentucky...

Dyslexics of the the world UNTIE!
www.dyslexia.moc
clean shaven, you knew it when you take the job.
We had a training class the other night and one of our guy's had a beard and could not get a seal no matter how tight he pulled the straps.

His beard is not that long but it kind of proved a point to what I was telling him because he has been arguing this point about our rules for masking up for fires.
WE aren't allowed to have any facial hair except a mustache and it can't be more than 1/4 inch below the corner of your mouth.
We allow mustaches but they are not supposed to go past the corner of the mouth.....SUPRISE I along with maybe 6 or 7 others out of 40 have Fu Man Chus......to the chin bone...no leaking and past fit test just like this. I used to have a beard in the 80-90's and never had an issue with a seal. I say clean and presentable and not obstructing in the use of a facepiece should be the rule. Not you will wear it this way. Sometimes we demand to much in the grooming side and not enough on the things taht matter like training and safety.
Here it is the NFPA way or the highway.....And I'm not afraid to admit that I agree with them....I never want to have to go to someone's house and tell them that a loved one got hurt or killed for something as stupid as facial hair.....I will welcome anyone to my crew....BUT.... follow the rules or there's the door.....It really isn't complicated nor is it even open to discussion....what happens if someone gets hurt.....? The insurance laywer will tear it apart and if NFPA standars are not followed then guess what....?? The IC or the Chief will be holding the bag.....I say not here/ Not now.....Paul
Donnie, I agree with you 100% and openmindedness is the key to moving forward in anything.
Right on Paul:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service