I'm just wondering, what's everyones guidelines to getting SCBA certified in their station ? when I joined my first company all we needed to do was put the pack on, show them what each thing did and breath air... now when I came to my other department we have to go through a whole pack test/course. which i think i shouldn't have to do since i'm already pack qualified...

Views: 1353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul ... Here in Pa we must take Essentials before we can take the the Firefighter 1 test.....
Clearly the lack of across-the-board standards in volunteer fire departments is the root cause of this question and issue.

Were all "firefighters" required to take, complete and pass NFPA 1001: Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications instead of make shift "Essentials" (whatever that may be) as well as any jury rigged departmental "training" or "qualifications" then there would be no doubt as to a person's qualifications.

Instead, volunteer departments use lack of funding (or simple inertia or ignorance) as an excuse to NOT adhere to NFPA 1001. Based on comments in many of these related discussions it's actually a miracle that more vollies aren't killed each year as a result of a lack of proper training and standards.

To bring to the table in a public discussion how it isn't fair that someone is being required to take additional training, which most likely was deemed important enough by that department
only strengthens the argument that training standards elsewhere were lacking. Yet individuals that complain do so because they personally think they know enough. That in itself is an indictment against unregulated and uncaring fire departments generally and against the volunteer fire service overall.

Next thing you know people will complain it's unfair that they have to have training (once a month in many cases) because they are already trained. It's 2010, if the volunteer fire service doesn't enact mandatory training standards then the only other thing to do will be to shut down non-compliant departments or go paid. I'm still not sure that even that would get people's attention. Apparently someone has to first die for that to happen.
Jack....Essentials is what was taught many years ago before Firefighter I came along...used to take essentials then intermediate firefighting....Now we take Firefighter I and II....it was a State Certification here in NY and it WAS certified to meet 1001 standards...I'm from the school that if you are told to do something you do it...we cannot have people deciding what and when they will do something...peoples lives depend on us...yes, I know that you are aware of this but I feel as I have to say it for those that might read this....In my opinion...you don't want to train....there's the door...Don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out.....LOL
In NY Essentials is no longer taught...Now we have Firefighter I and Firefighter II....
First to answer your question about SCBA Training we used our states guidelines we are a Combination Fire Department now, and we were required to do SCBA Testing every month. In between we drilled with our SCBA"s almost at every drill. I use to practice with my SCBA until I saw it in my sleep. As our department Incident Safety Officer to me SCBA Training Was Top on my list.
All our trucks carried enough SCBA's on board to cover almost every firefighter at an incident.
All Our Department personnel also carried their SCBA Mask with them as a part of their issued equipment. We found it was a whole lot easier that way if all the Engine SCBA packs were in use we could set up more packs which we carried on our Rescue Truck.
We also would do our FIT Testing with each of our SCBA Masks so again we were sure that all our
equipment was in perfect working order.
But Bottom line for SCBA to me and our guys and gals was Train,Train, Train! and then Train some more!!!!

Safety 56 ( Retired )
EXCELLENT POINTS

Practice Practice Practice... and then Practice some more - all of these and more - with each new staff member and each new department

And packs made by different companies are different
And packs stored/managed by each department are different
You need to learn your new departments system
My department did not permit you to pack up UNTIL you passed FF1 + pack tested for our department officers. And then we have to pack qualify every year there after.

And how long does this whole pack test / course take anyway?

And tons of the other comments make sense - build good will with your new department and comply to whatever they want - they need to see your teamwork and your skills.

JUST GET IT DONE !!!
OSHA mandates that everyone who uses respirators (including SCBA) be certified to use those respirators by their employer/agency. The OSHA rules for respiratory protection are listed under 29 CFR 1910.134.

Any fire department that does not ensure that every member is proficient with the SCBA they use is in violation to the OSHA standard, and is subject to fines and other civil penalties.

If you want to be a member of an OSHA-compliant fire department, you have to complete their SCBA certification course.

We mandate that every firefighter completes a SCBA recertification course at least once per year, even though they have numerous other annual drills where SCBA use is mandated.
"Volunteer to get out" - never heard that line - but I love it and need to start using it!
Haha... they don't care what you think. They aren't your old department. I don't care if you have 20 years experience before you come to mine(which is impossible since we have an age limit of 31 to apply), you're still a rookie. We still put you through an 8-month academy for 8 hours/day, 5 days/week. You will crawl through confined spaces, mazes, march around buddy breathing off the entire class while being screamed at from an engine behind you, and know every little part of your scba and how it works in case anything fails. Anyone can breath air with it on. That takes no skill.

If you're scared, then quit. If you're not, then suck it up and do it like a rookie. Sorry to be more blunt than most, but that's how it is here.
Every year we have to show knowledge and competency. Knowledge of the parts and operation of the SCBA. Fit testing of the mask annually. The ability to chaange a bottle. Competency that you can don and doff the SCBA, Go through a SCBA confidence course which has full escapes, reduced profiles, diminished clearances and other hazards you may encounter. This must be done without running out of air.
I have been in the fire service for 20+ years and I do not complain at all about this requirement because it is life safety equipment that all of our firefighters and I am being cleared on. I don't care how many times you put your airpack on a day, you do not perform all of the skills that you may need to save your ass. So my advice to you is, embrace the training and appreciate the fact that you are with a Department that cares enough to give you the tools and training so that you can go home after every call.
Jason,
I could not agree more with your comment, the more we practice and Drill with our SCBA's
the better we become until it is just second nature. We all know that there is no such thing as a routine fire call. Every time we enter into these hostile environments we stand the chance of something going dangerously wrong. Knowing our limitations and knowing our equipment is paramount in being able to come out of those situations alive. What if we did not drill that often, and we didn't know how to buddy breathe or we were to get our packs hung up on something in the fire and we had to remove our packs while staying on air,and we did not know how to do this simply because we were never trained or because we thought we did not need this training? The results could cost a life, your life! Or your partner's life. All because we thought we did not need additional training. Sorry but that just does not sit well with me. As a Safety Officer practice, and drilling over and over helps you to know that equipment through and through, so if and when you do get in a jam you will know without thinking what you should do. So You know how to don a SCBA that is good but bite the bullet and let your new Department teach you even more! You won't be sorry.

Safety 56 (Retired )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service