im not gripping just asking what all of you think yes or no, i vote yes we should wear them

Views: 1153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ben, In my continued effort to figure out how a volunteer fire department works, and yes, I am still totally blown away to learn that someone can be appointed or voted in as a company or chief officer, sans any real training or experience. In the case of Captain Gold, I am assuming that the entire department, including the fire chief is very young and inexperienced. Why else would the department back someone with only two-years experience to serve as the TO?
I think this might be a good topic
just for the record, French firefighters use a chrome "reflective" surface on their fire helmets to reduce the heat inside the helmet... just a thought...
I'm glad you have this opinion. It is always a good idea not to mention if you don't wear it while fighting car fires you will be sitting in the truck watching the rest of the department play with the flames.
oh man my Chief just saw this hi Chief
352 fire runs in one year hope this helps
I'm torn because I see both sides. I'm very cautious and aware of tunnel vision. Our department requires SCBA at car fires. Which I will never complain about safety first, however, sometimes with the positioning of a SCBA it can be difficult to move quickly if in danger. There could be oncoming cars, tires blow, glass, possible explosion, airbags, etc. I like to know I could move freely if any of these were present. But at the same time, I don't mind wearing it. Again... torn... Good question!
Thank you sir, you hit everything right on. As for the training matterial anything you have that you think would help I welcome and hope you will send it, as for my grammer I will and am trying to make an improvement. My topics are not very good right now any suggestions would be great. To all those who say i have no real world experience I went back to our records total of 362 runs last year.
Thank you sir Ill be sending you a freind request
Hi Jen
Glad your dept. requires scba at car fires. ANYTIME you are in ANY amount of smoke, please be wearing the pack, and have your air on. Its not a difficult concept. I am not real sure what you meant by the positioning of the scba. If you are in the hot zone, and working in smoke etc - any smoke/fire, you need to have that mask on, and the air pack on properly. However, if you are not in the hot zone, and out of the smoke, you should take your mask off, not only for conserving the air you may need if things change and you are suddenly called upon to work in the smoke, but also to avoid fogging up and hindering your movement etc. because you can't see properly.
Being able to move quickly if in danger, well there is always danger. Use the air pack everytime, and staying in great physical condition, will ensure you are able to move efficiently on the fireground when needed. Proper training etc will also help you deal with the other inherent dangers of firefighting.
I see you have only a few years in, so now is the time to really make sure you start using the air pack. Before you know, it will be no different that wearing full PPE - second nature, as it should be.
Nice pic by the way.. If you won't do it for yourself, do it for your family who would love for you to not get sick from doing this job, (And not to mention all the guys out there who are prolly thinking the same thing right now lol) Protect what you have going for you. Wear the damn scba k? :)
Stay safe and alert!
Yes sir I am fully aware, and I always am in full ppe and teach my firemen the same idea.
Mam no disrespect but an airbag deploies at around 200 mph i dont care if youre superman youre not dodgeing that please always wear your scba
No Question. Yes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service