Effective immediately, you are permitted to carry ONE item in your bunker pants pockets. That is NOT one item in each pocket; that is one item PERIOD. This policy has become necessary because many of you can barely move, due to the weight of what is being carried in pockets. If you are caught violating this policy, I will confiscate everything and open a hardware store. Chief.
So; the question is: what would be your ONE thing? One. That's it.
TCSS.
Art

Views: 758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be carrying my lineman pliers.
Now what kind of jackarse would make such a rule??? :-) (sorry Art, couldn't resist)

Well I like how belts were mentioned early, because I thought of that right away when I read the title. For this case I would have to agree with Jeff and it would be my webbing.

Matter of fact, the only other things I carry in my pockets along with webbing (dept requirement) is a couple extra wedges, some chalk (mandatory for our dept), some safety glasses (I don't like the goggles) and a pair of EMS gloves.

After a fire with a lot of cable TV wires hindering us, I bought some cable cutters and had those in a pocket. After a FF survival class and entanglement, I found trying to get those out of my pocket was difficult. I got a gut belt and found a cell phone case that the cutters fit in and I have that mounted horizontally in the front of the belt (this way the tool doesn't dig in when I bend). I also have a knife and multitool in a pouch on the gut belt and have a carabiner to attach a hand lantern to.
John...we went to a seminar and a Captain from FDNY was there talking about 1st arriving company operations and he had an interesting note...He carries a handful of nails in his pocket....He uses these in place of wedges...puts one in between the door jam and the door and then closes the door part way to embed it in place...abbra cadabbra you have a cheap wedge that you can leave and forget....works great....might want to give it a try...Paul
Good point Paul. Seen that done as well and there are couple guys here that have some nails on their helmet just for that case. With my sausage fingers and with gloves on, I can grap a wedge quick, but may put some nails on the helmet too. Like you said, they're cheap and you can forget about them. Lost several wedges because I couldn't get them back.
If we badger him enough, he'll go to two tools in each pocket...on the bunkers. Of course that still leaves two pockets on the jacket as well. So 8 tools....?
Art,

I'll start carrying only one tool in my pocket when you start carrying only one type of hose on your engine or a single ladder per apparatus.

I don't carry a hardware store, but no way I'm just carrying one tool when three or four of the basics are so important.

Webbing and carabiner - check
Trauma scissors that double as wire cutters - check
Backup flashlight - check
Screwdriver - check

They all do different things, just like firefighters do different things.
If I'm only ready to do one thing in a pinch, then I'm not going to be very effective, especially when it comes to saving my own life.
Radio
Chief France, your Board determines what your firefighters carry/use? What possible reason would they have for interfering with the job? It seems to be a classic example of micro-managing. And is this a 'corporate' board or an outside, town board?

"Someone sit this chief Board down and tell him them to get a life clue."
hmm...have a radio pocket on the jacket, so thats out.Streamlight on the other side, also out.As Jeff said you'll be wearing your hood, so thats out. My ONE item would probably be my 15' personal rope for S&R, victim drags, and ladder work.I'll still keep my folding spanner around, just don't tell Art.
Chief, wouldn't it then make sense for the "Board" to allow you, as Chief, to authorize the tools? I can understand about boots,helmets, hoods, gloves and gear; that should all be determined and issued by the department. But pocket tools...seems you should only have to have each individual itemize their tools (anything of a questionable nature delete) and keep a copy in their personnel jacket. This way workman's comp shouldn't be able to deny coverage as the property could be "considered" to belong to the department. Just a thought. (you might want to shop for a different carrier for you WC.
Too late. I already know, Paul.
Yo, Yo, Yo Everyone:
This is hypothetical.
But it has gotten you thinking about what you carry, what you should carry and maybe what you can take out of your pockets.
This mandate wasn't issued.
It is an exercise that, if given the directive, what is the most important appliance would you carry?
Don't make me cry. :-)
Sorry chief but this isn't gonna fly unless you keep inspecting their pockets daily.... and if you do then you are micro-managing the crap out of the troops. So let's be realistic about this, the chief has a serious budget issue and the new gear will only have one pocket due to cost cutting measures right?

Do you want your right or left hand to stay warm???

To answer your so called "exercise" we would see some whackers custom build a truckeee belt (because you will allow stuff to hang) so he can hang all the crap that used to be stored in his bellows pockets.... probably with flashing strobes too. JUST TO PISS OFF THE CHIEF.

Really, a nice SCBA maze with reduced profile prop will prove to the troops they are runnning heavy. I personally like the one's who empty their gear before training to MAKE IT EASIER...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service