This post comes on the heels of some discussion and training scenarios that we had at work.  We have had the lapel microphones for our radios for a few years now, but it was a bit of a joke.  Depending on who you relieved in the morning depended on whether the lapel mic was on that particular radio or not.

I had some Captains that hated them and would take them off as soon as they got on the truck and others did the exact opposite.  Which, in turn happened with everyone else on the truck and we lost mics and so on an so on.

I personally like the lapel mics for the simple reason that you can get to it and get your “voice” closer to the mic when geared up and on air.  Once you place your radio in a pocket and put your SCBA on, it can be almost impossible to get it out and talk on it.

Of course the argument from our dissenters is that the mic cord gets tangled up and it is a pain in the butt when you don’t need it.  It is also difficult to re-clip the mic onto your coat or SCBA with gloves on.

I maintain that you have a better chance getting to the mic if you get into trouble as compared to the radio in a pocket.

What is the rest of the country and world doing?

Let us know your opinions and experiences.

Stay safe and thanks for reading.

http://firefightersenemy.com

Views: 1298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a clip on mike for my portable..used it bothways.....prefer the mike......easier to get at...
We have radios issued to us because of your concerns. What we found was the guys take better care of the radio if it is assigned to them. I wear/use a lapel mic on a leather radio strap under my coat. We also have channel selector and mayday button located on the remote mic.
I do not have one of these but I would like to. There is little chance of sound interference, you have a ear peace so you can hear what is going on and it is all protected by your hood. Other then that I like the shoulder mic. it is handy

I don't like them, mines buried somewhere deep in my nightstand I believe... haven't seen it in a bout 3 years.

The county issues the careers theirs with the radio, mandatory you have one issued but optional to use, makes sense right?

The vollie department I work at doesn't even buy them anymore. If they want one they gotta front their own.
Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing this. I would feel like a member of the A Team with this. : )
Any specific reasons why you don't like them? Yeah, why buy it for one and not the other?
That is ideal. We also have a few of the leather straps, very few like them. Mostly because they haven't really tried them. I like to have my radio in it and I find it very handy. It also is harder to sit that whole strap down and forget like the radio by itself. But mostly, that strap keeps my radio secured, close and easy to get to.
Our radios aren't as loud through the mic speaker as it is with the onboard speaker and I just don't like the mic flailing around all over the place... let's face it, they never stay clamped on half the time.

All just personal preference I reckon.

Your second question...

The fire district handles all my equipment (career), they contract to the vollie depts to provide for their respective turf. It's up to the chief & board how they use the contract money for the vollies and a lot of the members don't show interest in having them. A lot of the ones that had been issued the very small supply on hand just turned them back in after the "coolness" of wearing it wore off I suppose.
I understand, have you tried the leather radio straps. They help keep the lapel mic from flailing around. But, it is under your coat. Thanks for commenting.

< I love my mic & have used one for years. Like FETC I wear mine on a leather radio strap, I have the same exact rig as in the picture & couldn't be happier. When on the fireground I wear it under my coat & pull the mic over the top of my collar. I turn the volume all the way up & lock the channel I want to use before I go in. I always know where the mic is, my radio is protected by my coat, if the mic is damaged it's alot better to replace a $80 mic than a $300 radio.

now to add to this....love the throat piece....has anyone tried to use GEAR KEEPER for mics.......do they work.....??
That is a cool option. I also like the idea about not damaging the radio and only the mic. Thanks for posting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service