After a trip to Mexico and talking to the Firefighters over there, or "Bomberos" as they call themselves, I became curious as to know...

How many of you have ever been faced with a language barrier, and how did it affect the incident?

What do you do if you're faced with someone who speaks little to no English in an emergency, who do you call?

Does your department carry those quick reference sheets made specially for EMS and Fire?

Views: 3488

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

let me know - anytime I can lift your day :-)
I never thought my discussion would become a featured discussion and rack up 7 pages of comments!

I love this site, I could go on and on for hours talking about how much I've learned just by reading thru these forums and blogs and featured stories.
I'd just like to say Thank You to all of you on here for everything you've done to help me improve myself as a probie. Your $0.02 and knowledge is greatly appreciated, sure are keeping me entertained as well with this discussion! :)

Forrest
Forrest - you owe us each a nickel - since we are WORTH WAY more than 2 cents ;-) [ok, at least I am!]

and I am sure there will be more fighting and laughter on your discussion over the next few days - perhaps you can get to page 11 or 12 :-)
Fix the Fire and EMS economy so I can actually get a job, then I'll start paying.

And too bad it went from serious talk about incidents and that too immigration laws and arguing. :P
yeah normally I get paper money thrown at me - so nickels would hurt - and won't pay the bills

sorry - too big of a mess for me to fix - i am busy fixing other messes

and yes, that is what happens when you give people freedom of thought and freedom of speech - God only knows where it will head... sometimes it will head straight into hell

and i assure you - it was ALL serious talk - immigration laws and DEBATING are serious issues in our society which influence not only us as colleagues but also patient care
Nope, it's as English as almost any other word - Been in the language for hundreds of years with roots in German, French, Latin or Greek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuck#Etymology
yes - exactly - thanks Vic - french, latin, greek & german...

from now on WE ALL shall speak ONLY in those languages - none of these outgrowth languages, Paul... back to our roots !
Don't get cocky, probie. Where the hell is my coffee by the way? Forrest!
I just know a few things because i like history and inventions, i enjoy the history channel, discovery and stuff like that :o)
I dunno, Greek is pretty difficult, even with a lot of practice. I vote Latin, if it's good enough for Latin America, it's good enough for here!
Lo siento, Senor Bilingual DUST.
Marcio, Do you tell the tourists, speak Portuguese or get out? I did not think so, Paul is so off base.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service