I was just wondering if anyone uses 10-codes over the radio or plain language. We are told to use plain language but the occasional 10-code comes out. Mainly it is the 10-4 or for situations with a death it is referred to as a 10-7 (out of service). Also whichever you use what are the pros and cons of it?

Gopher

Views: 645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

10-55 for us is an intoxicated driver. For an ambulance it's a 10-52. Now we know why they are pushing so much for us to use plain english. What if, for some reason, one of us would have to go to the other's area for a MCI? We wouldn't know what the hell the other guy is saying unless he is using plain english. We are like you. We have the occasional 10-4 but that's about it. Our county firefighters are doing a good job of just using plain english but our county PD and EMS still use 10 codes. If we do screw up and use a 10 code our Chief gets on the radio and says "Plain English". Pretty embarrasing if you ask me but it has worked.
We use 10-codes like 10-4. Even though we have a set list, we don't use them all so only few key 10-codes like 10-70 (fire at ...) or that is 10-75 for you guys (for most U.S. I think). 10-52 Ambulance needed... and so on.

Anyway, we haven't thought of changing it to plain language nor not likely will be soon. Maybe because we don't enjoy a good reliable repeater system. I guess the purpose of 10-codes is when the quality communication is not good. a short two syllable shout at the base can be understandable like the 10-codes.

I notice when you got a good communication facilities and conveniently you can use plain language. So no need for 10-codes I think.

Yup, we live in a different world not to mentioned from the other side of the pond.
NIMS training tells you to get awat from 10 codes for this very reason. A 10-9 in one place is death and in anothe r may mean we need more beer.
If you want to be NIMS compliant it is plain language, in our department we use plain language
Using the fire radio to call for more beer? Now that's something that I haven't heard before! lol

Gopher
The department I am with stop using the 10 code after 911, and now we use plain language. Eather way it works.
In our County on fire frequency we use plain language except when there is a death than we say contact 669 (thus being the corner's badge number) or we say "J4". otherwise we use plain language.... and everyonce in awhile we hear the 10-25 meaning "disregard" or 10-23 "on scene" but we try not to use that stuff unless it is the death ......
WELL BROTHER YOU SEE YOUR 10-7 AS YOU SAY MEANS DEATH AND JUST IN THIS COUNTY HERE IN OKLA A SIG 30 MEANS DEATH, THE PROBLEM IS 10 CODES ARE DIFFERENT NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, NOW ON THE OTHER HAND IF THEY WERE STANDARDIZED THRU THE FIRE & POLICE INDUSTRIES IT WOULD BE A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY...THE NEW RECRUITS USE PLAIN ENGLISH BUT SOME OF US OLD SCHOOLERS STILL USE 10 CODES, BUT WE TEACH AND INSTRUCT TO DO PLAIN ENGLISH AND THAT WAY EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME SHEET OF PAPER, SO TO SPEAK...
If you read the Federal regulation you will see that the change to go away from codes was for interoperability of multyi-agency and jurisdiction major disasters and calls related. Your every day calls were not addressed. Most agencies have changed the codes to plain text to allow better understanding of all responders to what is being said on the radio. However, listen to your local, County and State Police. HUMMMMMM? nothing has changed there. When we speak with our 911 dispatch we still use 12 codes. Of course plain text is best when communicating with other agencies around us. Just makes sense to talk in such a way that everyone understands. It is called communicating. It takes both sides to understand to communicate.
well the ambulance service uses 10 codes my fathers dept uses signals and i am not sure what my dept does
We use english. I think the public scanner wackers know too much when we use english. I would like ta see a Nation wide 10- code that way we are all on the same page.
Around here our dispatch flips between plain english and 10-codes (sometimes they page a wreck out as a "2 vehicle accident" and other times as a 2 vehicle 10-50, sometimes they also page fires as a 10-70). Our department mostly uses plain english though, really the only 10-codes I can think of we ever use is 10-4, 10-84 is enroute, 10-23 is on scene,10-8 is back in service, 10-25 is disregard and instead of asking what someones 10-20 is it is often shortened to "what's your 20".

The sheriff's department here runs entirely on 10-codes though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service