In Fairmont MN a LEO and a good samaritan were shot and and another person was found dead. The officer and the civilian were first responders to a house fire.

FAIRMONT, Minn. — Police in southern Minnesota say an officer and Good Samaritan were shot while responding to a house fire, and a third person was found dead nearby.

Fairmont police said in a news release that the officer was the first to arrive at the scene of Tuesday night's fire. They said the Good Samaritan was helping the officer when both were shot. Both have been hospitalized.

Police said that during the course of their investigation, a third person was found dead near the residence. Police did not say how that person died.

Police did not release any additional details about the fire or the shooting, including the victims’ names. However, they said they do not believe there is any further danger to the community..

How would your dept handle this situation?

Views: 355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ya, im not interested in saving the house that bad.... not to risk my life in that kinda way... i think our hall would do its best to keep other houses from burning. evacuated the whole block (or whatever could be in danger of catching on fire.
or if you can see guy with gun, spray him with truck mounted monitor. then keep him down with the sysko load(one FF each side of him) till someone with a gun and handcuffs gets there.... i dont know..... but i actually have thought of this with meth houses... we have a relatively high number. maybe some crazy person will try to keep emergency ppl away from their "stash" or other illegal things. course we have never really done anything about those thoughts.... hmmm.. maybe we'll talk about it in our structure practice coming up...
I did a search on google about firefighters being ambushed and I was shocked at the amount of results that I found. It happens in big and small cities and all over the world.
there is a reserve around here.. fire dept called for a fire. they responded and a bunch of drunk ppl with weapons jumped them... they had to get axes and haligans, and shovels, and whatever they could get their hands on to escape...fire truck was beat to shit. broken windows dented body, etc some guys a bit hurt.... they dont respond there anymore.... :)
I have a question......The house is on fire.... people are saying wait for LEO to secure the scene....How are they going to know if the scene is safe or not when they can't enter the structure? Maybe they have a fire proof SWAT team on hand?
Just a thought.
If they are never given the all clear they wouldn't go in, its simple as that. Why go in if your not 100% sure and like John said what if the house is booby trapped. This is one of the times where I would be more then happy to just surround and drowned.
or if you can see guy with gun, spray him with truck mounted monitor. then keep him down with the sysko load(one FF each side of him) till someone with a gun and handcuffs gets there.... i dont know

Disagree. Our job is not about apprehending a suspect, let alone attempting to disarm a suspect. it also doesn't take a wizard to understand a bullet is going to travel faster than water will flow from a monitor....even if it is a deck gun, you have to see what you are aiming at....meaning exposed and thus chance for being shot.
How are they going to know if the scene is safe or not when they can't enter the structure? Maybe they have a fire proof SWAT team on hand?

Thanks MJ for already mentioning what I replied with earlier.

Derek,
In such an event, the fire becomes secondary and if such an event occurred, I wouldn't be worried about saving the structure, nor even worry about going in. For someone to go to extremes as to set fire and then shoot responders, it makes you wonder what they may have done to the house or what hazards may lurk. Instead if LEO can secure the scene, the priorities become exposures, let the house burn to the ground.
I agree....same here. I was just resonding to Brians post. But even a surround and drown could be tricky if you have someone taking shots at you. You would almost need the wireless remote controlled monitors if you were to put water on the fire. I would have to let it burn and just watch and take care of the exposures, like was already mentioned. I wouldn't want any guys using a nozzle in the sightline of the house.
I totally get that and agree with it. Just some responses were sounding like wait for leo to secure the scene, which they really cant do until they know there is no threat. Which means that the house will likely burn. I'm well aware of the crazy traps that are sometimes set, and the lengths which some people will go to do harm to anyone who enters their home.
i thought I was just shedding light to some who might think that leo can just show up, look around then declare a scene safe. By the time that happens, the house should be in a smouldering state, exposures protected and protecting the crime scene.
settle down john i was being sarcastic............ wow so serious on here....
your sarcasm button must be disabled then.....better check on that.

:-)
John if you came up with a sarcasm button youd be a millionaire.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service