The first call I answered in NY was a false alarm. My first call here in SC, I will never forget.
It was a structure fire where we lost a mother, and three children. It was a very difficult time
for the entire fire department. This is not the way anyone should have to answer their first alarm, but it happens. I can only prey that I don't have to come accross another alarm such as that.

Views: 1241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

mine was a MVA, got to the station alittle late cause i was on the other side of town. missed the engine and while me and a few other guys were sittin around talkin they called for more man power cause stupid drivers almost caused another accident. me and my buddy adam took r brush truck out and made the left to head toward the call. started makin the turn down the hill and all u heard was a loud "thud" and adam say shit... yep brush truck had no brakes so that made for a very interesting drive to the call... all in all just directed traffic and cleaned up the road. my first fire was when we were on standby at the neighboring cities firemans fair, it was 11pm and their chief just released us as it came in, we were the first truck in and found a fully involved structure (mind u we were on scene in less 2 mins) luckly it was abandoned. me and my partner dragged a line and began to dump water, a downed powerline kept us from using the deck gun. it was the hottest fire ive ever been on, the asphalt was smokin it was soo hot. first true interior attack was the night b4 i left for army bct. got on scene 2nd engine in, took hose and ax to rear with my capt, cut entry hole and put it out. spent all night there and only got an hours sleep b4 i left for pittsburgh. cant wait to be home more to run more calls i miss it a TON
My first call was for a Lab thru the ice in a pond. One rude puppy...he dont call, he dont write...very rude!! =)
most firefighters will remember their first fire call...... on the first day on the job the bell rang and their it was a house on fire with a little girl missing upon reaching the seen we went in to carry out seach and rescue and there she was hiding in the tub. i tell you i will never for get the look on her face... we manage to save the house as well. that was my first fire call
Pickup truck on fire on back back road. Came to find out a local kid broke into the local Career Center stole it drove it 10 or so miles out in middle of no where and torched it.
my first was a stand by for blu ridge while they were at a fire
Well Ive been with the department for just over a month now and Ive had several calls. My first was for a tanker assist on a structure fire. House was a total loss. The call Ill never forget happened a couple weeks after that. It was a multi vehicle multi fatality. A young high school student on her way to school and another driver coming home from work were kill on impact when they collided. It was my first MVA. Im sure there will be many more fires and rescues, and Ill be doing what I can to make a difference.
Sad to say but after a while, these will just become "just another call"
Camper and woods fire
My first call was a fire alarm at the local nursing home. I had never been so scared in my life. Showed up and was clueless as the FNG and helped where I could. It helped make my next call, structure fire, a little better. I ran a 2 1/2" by myself and have never been so sore. It's all good.
My first call was a respiratory call on a physically handicapped 8 year old. Was sitting in a very low income house, hospital bed was in living room, no carpet, about 8 gallons of gasoline cans just laying around. Respirations were weak, intubated, initiated ALS, transported. Next call was an hour later, motorcycle hit a tree going about 50 and slid about 25 yards, no helmet.
I want to thanks to all who shared their story
of their first call.
Hey Paul, Thanks for responding to the discussion.
You stay safe out there Brother.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service