So you are approaching the scene of a highrise fire with visible smoke and flames showing. You pause, think for a second to collect your thoughts and then you key the microphone and say...

Views: 1829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK Mike,

* Would you automatically request an ambulance to respond and standby... just in case?
Ambulance is automatically responded to any structure fire for a residential property
* Do you have the responsibility to call for what we call a Code 20, what LAFD and Phoenix call a sigalert or what most of us know as a media callout.
We can call for media relations any time we like
* At what point do you call a third alarm and have them stage... just in case?
We don't use the 'Alarm' system, but can call for however many pumpers etc that we think are required.
* Can you and have you passed command, ie. arrived on scene and handed over command to the next arriving engine so you can get to the fire floor asap to keep the fire small; if possible?
Command is usually reteined by the first arriving officer, usually on the first arriving appliance, but can be handed over at any stage.
* Who do you assign passport responsibitlies too? First in engine's driver or engineer? Someone else?
By 'passport responsibilities' I think you are referring to to what we call 'BA Control' - that can be assigned to any person who is BA qualified.
* RIC Team(s), Safety Officer, PIO, Medic, 3rd Alarm, Traffic Control... it's endless!
RIC/TIT doesn't exist; Safety Officer appointed on any major incident; PIO = Press? we call for a Media Relations person for larger incidents; Medic = Ambulance Paramedics who will be responded when Fire is responded; 3rd Alarm - we call for what we need; the Police better be there for any major traffic control needs! But we'll close a road quite readily if we see the need for our safety. Phew!

Don't they have these types of fires in Australia's larger cities like Perth, Melborne, Sidney?
Yes and No I can't remember the last one we had. Lutan1 and Tony P might remind me. Stack of false alarms but no fires which makes me wounder why?? what's different

P.S. got you mike on spelling :) Melbourne Sydney
Would you automatically request an ambulance to respond and standby... just in case?
Once we ceclare an incident a "working fire" we automatically get an ambulance dispatched as well as an additional engine,additional chief,EMS supervisor, and air utility.

* Do you have the responsibility to call for what we call a Code 20, what LAFD and Phoenix call a sigalert or what most of us know as a media callout.
It is not our primary responsibility but we do have the ability to call either a type 1,2,or 3 MCI dependent on pt count

More than likely after the inital CPR (COnditions, Progress,Resources) report from the first due company

* Can you and have you passed command, ie. arrived on scene and handed over command to the next arriving engine so you can get to the fire floor asap to keep the fire small; if possible?
Our SOG states that the first arriving DOF (DIvision of Fire) unit must establish command. Due to our manpower situation we establish a "foward" or "mobile" command that makes decisions for the incident until the arrival of the command level officers.

* Who do you assign passport responsibitlies too? First in engine's driver or engineer? Someone else?
The accountability tags are managed by the lobby control function and that is assigned to the 3rd due engine.

* RIC Team(s), Safety Officer, PIO, Medic, 3rd Alarm, Traffic Control... it's endless!
We have tactical templates that spell out what all the units on a first alarm assignment have to do. They do not have to ask they just have to show up and assume the role based on the order of there arrival. Once the second alarm is struck command staff and training division staff are called back in to duty to fill the command staff functions. The EMS supervisor doubles as the safety officer.
*Would you automatically request an ambulance to respond and standby... just in case?
We automatically dispatch an ALS ambulance to every report of a structure fire.

We automatically have PIO notification on any working incident including structure fires.

If the fire extends outside of the origin occupancy, if there are reports of numerous trapped occupants, or if there is a large volume of smoke potentially trapping large numbers of occupants, for starters. There might be other situations like an autovented fire with fire impinging on one or more floors above that would get a 3rd alarm on arrival.

We do it all the time if the 1st due company can make a direct impact on the outcome by immediate intervention.

Passport responsibility is with the first officer to establish Command. His/her span of control shouldn't exceed 5 prior to a battalion chief arriving and relieving the company officer of Command. Once we get the working incident assignment on scene, we normally assign an Accountability Officer to track passports.

RIC - 3rd due engine normally establishes IRIT. Beefing it up depends on the situation and resources.
In this case, we'd be looking at a mutual aid truck on the 2nd alarm and a mutual aid engine or three on the 3rd alarm.

Safety - a staff chief or captain
PIO - the PIO or designated alternate
Medic - 1st due medic, call more if needed
3rd alarm - our remaining 3 engines and a mutual aid truck company
Traffic Control - cops

endless...assigned to the Department of Endlessness.
We have our share of those buildings Mike, but fires in them? I can't remember any. As Wildfire said, why is that I wonder? Even if there were, the closest one of those things is about 30 kilometres away from me, so the likelihood of being responded is about zero. 30 kilomtetres is because I'm in an outer suburb of Melbourne. Mind you, our sister service that has those buildings would be calling so many of their resources in towards the CBD that vols would be responded in a move-up - going to their Stations on standby that is.
whoops... : ) Note: I am still working on putting together items for your package... ms
Whatever engine, ladder company your on, I have heavy fire showing from whatever floor window, A,B,C,D side of structure, whether evacution is in progress, and if you have people trapped, and you have command unless another unit has called it already.
Radio report?..."All units, meet me at station 2, the first round is on me...over"

Everyone pretty much covered things. Watch for rescues, exposures, make sure you have adequate manpower on scene and equipment, rehab services, air mask units, ambulances and communications. Use the buildings systems to your advantage and contain the fire. Very good post Captain.
( example) "communications.. truck 62 on the scene..working structure fire flames showing from a multi-story highrise residential building ..truck 62 will have primary.." "truck-62 to second due engine i need water supply"
Give me a 2nd & 3rd alarm lol good one Mike
"Engine58 to ODC, we are approshing the Repoted Structure fire at 1111 main st. We havea LUME-UP, smoke and Fire Showing, Make this a full assinment plus a division command team. Will update with more info when on scene"

Once on scene give a proper size up.

I would have the Engine grab a highrise hose pack
then have my truck go above the fire and check for Fire Spreading and SAR
after this as been completed have them work ventilation
While this is happeneing have my Engine Co. Hook up to a standpipe and start fire surpression.

The reason why i would ask for a Full Assiengment is because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7rp13ChAs

^^this started out as a reported smoke. Caller was on 2nd floor and said there was smoke coming out of her neighbors door. A Long Beach Fire Dept Engine and a truck were first on scene a reported nothing showing.
They start there investigation and BOOM huge fire, the fire had been in the Walls, this called ended up beeing something like 650 FF. This is why i would ask for a Full Assiengment, because if it turnsout you dont need em send em back, Better safe then sorry!!

Marc
LAcityFD

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service