I know this may be kind of off topic. But I'm looking to see who was the first black fire chief in America. My company started in 1949 and my Uncle became the first Black fire chief in Delaware. I know there were other black fire companies around but I would like to find out the first.

Even if you don't know but know of a black fire company in your area. I'm aware of Roosevelt, Chapel Oaks and Darby #4 and a few others.

Views: 1159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just a little side mote on all this Rosemary Cloud was the first African American female fire chief East Point GA
This such a good subject for you to ask during black history month but I want to tell you about a special man I got to know during my carrear. He was a collector of black firefighter biographies and his name was Arthur "Smokestack" Hardy. I got to meet Smokestack in 1984 at his home in Baltimore, WOW what a treat! This man spent his entire life collecting any and all information and stories about black firefighters no matter where they were. He was listed in the visiting fireman and encouraged everyone to "ring in" when in baltimore. When he died I called the president of the IABPFF and urged him to have someone approach his family and take charge of his archives. When he asked why I said that smokestack's work is TOO IMPORTANT to be lost and there is a possibility that "your" bio is part of his collection...it was. I feel honored to be a part of his collection. He had a picture of me as a probie and when i got promoted to lieutenant. I dont know who has his archives today but I hope and pray that it is being cared for, I'll bet its great reading. His work remindes me of the old black saying, "you can't know where you goin till you know where you been, you know where i'm at?"

God Bless You Smokstack And Thank You BROTHER
Washington D.C. 1973, here is a thread to the Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/18/AR2...

First African-American fire commissioner of a major US City: Robert O. Lowery of the New York City Fire Department 1966
When?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service