FDNY Firefighters Battle 6-Alarm Brush Fires on Staten Island

Editor's note: FDNY officials at the scene indicate that there are two six-alarm brush fires and more than 200 firefighters and EMTs are on scene. There has been one reported minor injury to a firefighter.

More than 200 firefighters and EMTs are on scene at a five-alarm brush fire in Great Kills Park on Staten Island. In this photo, the crew of Engine 219 puts water on the fire. Photo courtesy FDNY photo unit

An NYPD helicopter drops water on the fire. Photo courtesy FDNY photo unit

Associated Press

Firefighters are battling brush fires at Great Kills Park on Staten Island.

The park is part of the Gateway National Recreation Area.

City officials said motorists should expect traffic delays near Hylan Boulevard and Buffalo Street.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have fun guys ;o)

Pity about the photos, they show very little. Thin smoke in the background, nothing visible near the hose. Apart from full structural gear being worn (and is that BA as well?) - I hope it's not as hot as I know NYS can get!
Reminds me of the Sunrise fire on East L.I. back in '95. It was brutal doing wildland firefighting with structural gear. Been in FL fo the last 13 years and have found just how much better wildland gear is, especially during the notorious '98 fire season.
We aren't even allowed to wear structure gear at wildfires.Have had some folks over the years go down with heat related injuries from wearing them.Our one mutual aid dept. wants us to wear bunker pants due to a large number of oil wells in their territory but thats the only one.In fact,I got a letter from our State Forestry District this spring reminding us to make sure our crews had the right gear(hard hats,leather boots,long sleeve natural fiber shirts,etc..)before the spring fire season.Starting a couple years ago,we started supplying our crew with brush gear.I can see wearing the structure gear for structure protection though.Everybody does things different though.That's just what works for us.
I was driving around today and had an emergency radio app on my phone turned on to FDNY and i listened to about an hour of this call. It was really cool to hear it.
FDNY are some of the best fire fighters in the world, but like all city departments, are totally out of their game with a bush fire. We had a fire back home (Maryland) of a couple hundred acres, it was like the end of the world! Here (New South Wales) that sort of thing is routine.

Give 'em Hell boys!
Similar thinking to us Chris, except structural PPC isn't allowed on the fireground at wildfires. not at all. If an urban pumper has been sent for asset protection in the urban interface, then they will be carrying both structural and wildfire PPE (we have both sets issued). The instructions sent by your State Forestry people are good!

The wildfire PPE we're issued here is simple; flame retardent treated cotton pants and jacket, light-weight helmet and wildfire gloves. Our boots are leather, multy purpose.

Everybody does things differently all right. As long as that differently is willing to take notice of the differences between structure and wildfire firefighting (just like you do).
There can always be the 'I'm a real firefighter, you're only wildfire' thinking in there too can't there Vic? I've even met it here...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service