I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about why you prefer EMT work through a private agency vs. through the 911 system - or - why you prefer EMT work within the 911 system vs. through a private agency...

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, Ralph: Thanks for your thoughts...and yes, I do know that EMS is not the line of work in which to make big bucks! (Important though it is!)
I'm going to assume you mean private EMS vs. public/government run EMS. There are benefits to each and drawbacks to each. Job security is usually better in the public sector but the pay may be lower than a private company. In my neck of the country you will see examples of EMS as a private, public(FD run) and joint venture operation. In fact, if you TC at a particular area, you could get any one of the three due to automatic aid agreements.

BTW, how is the Haggis in your area Guerrerita?
Yep, I meant private EMS vs. public...Most of the people I've spoken with say the same thing -- that the security and benefits in public outweigh the pay differential...plus most find it more 'exciting,' not that going to someone else's wreck is ever exciting - more of an adrenaline rush, perhaps. Oh, and there is no 'haggis' in NY that *I've* found!
plus most find it more 'exciting,'

I find this interesting. Here, the only real difference between being a private EMT-P and being a FF-P is who signs your paycheck. The runs are all the same. The location is the only difference. If your talking BLS transport, then that's an entirely different subject.

BTW thanks for being a good sport with the haggis. It's was a running joke with Ralph from another forum.
In my county on the forums many on both sides argue that they would want private EMS to handle the non emergency calls and let fire EMS to handle emergency calls. If they let it happen they would have private EMS handle all nursing homes and hospital transfers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service