Does your department have a policy on firefighters taking video or pictures of victims? Watch this stunning video.

This is absolutely stunning to me! I believe that the firefighters behind this should be dismissed or on unpaid leave at the very least. Does your department have a policy on this? Has anything like this ever happened to you or someone you know? Here is the link for the news cast the link is in the tags box.

Views: 1036

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In our department, it's just a verbal policy, but we have a code of ethics that we've sort of just verbally written for ourselves. This would fall under it. We believe we are professionals, and we follow that. If you act, and look professional, you will be taken in perspective as a professional. So we always act professional.
Yes the Tshwane Fire Dept, does have a policy regarding this.
If you do take photos or video, you will be dismissed or fired.
And yes there is a written SOP regarding that.
We do have a video unit responding to our incidents from mva`s to building fires. And if it does go to court. For whatever reason, the video can be used in a case. But it is only for reference, not for private use in anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have a written policy that is fairly clear as to who may take pictures, the parameters and that every image taken must be cleared by the Chief before it could be released to the public.

I will submit pictures of our in-house training to the local paper along with an article. Pictures and article are examined and read by the Chief before I get the "go-ahead" to take it to the media.

Occasionally I do take pictures at a scene but it is specific to the goals of the Chief, as in, "take a pic of this part here" type stuff for evidence, or training purposes.
I would flat out refuse to capture someone's injury or demise on film. If that order would be passed, the camera would be handed back to the Chief.

It offends me that anyone would even try let alone publish such a thing.

We have never had a problem with any members violating this policy. Very few are allowed to take pictures in the first place and we seldom have cellphones on scene.

We have a pretty good relationship with the local media so if we ask them to move back; they generally comply without much fuss.

I can't imagine how it would feel to see my loved one splashed over the internet or suddenly pop-up in an email because someone just had to be hot on the trail of the latest story in order to gain some kind of gory glory. Sadly, another case of someone trying to grab fame at the cost of the innocent and grieving. Absolutely despicable.

For me, it has nothing to do with lawsuits. It's all about respect, compassion, control and responsibility.

I must be a dinosaur.
While not being able to view the video in question on this post, and quite frankly, I'm glad... word has been out about a firefighter who captured horrific video footage at an accident scene that involved the tragic death of a young woman. This action, which blatantly exhibited the firefighters immaturity level.

Common sense and purpose should dictate whether or not someone uses any kind of media capturing device on the scene of an accident during emergency operations as to the content of the photograph. Not taking pictures to impress or gross out your friends...

To have an absolute ban on firefighters taking photographs at incidents is ridiculous. I have personally used photographs taken as my engine approached the scene to both document the fire as it looked upon arrival which is kind of cool when you get to note how much involvement prior to extinguishment, the colors of the smoke, who was hanging around and watching and what the license plates of the vehicles and just exactly what was burning when you first arrived on scene? Just look at the quick snap photo (digital camera in the pocket) that was taken as line was being extended and a size up was being given on the radio... Camera's are just another tool to help us do our jobs better...

My point here is that as a company officer, I used photographs taken at the scene to nail a couple of scum bags that were starting fires not to mention having total recall for fire reports. To not use an electronic media, e.g. digital photographs means that you are minimizing your effectiveness when it comes time to deal with insurance companies and cost recovery. That's just my take.

Another thought, that I think should be considered is the age of this firefighter. What an argument against junior firefighters being allowed at accident scenes... I for one would not want the responsibility of having to police anyone for cell phone or cameras on their person...

If you have a reason to photo document the scene, people, etc. and it's being done as an official act, then things like HIPPA and patient privacy can be protected. But when you have a firefighter sharing gory photos with other people not connected with the incident or the investigation, then you have problems. This is the type of behavior that makes all of us look bad.

This character has no business being associated with the fire service. It's time to say bye bye...

CBz
Our department does not have a policy (if I'm correct) but all photographs taken on a fire scene are always approved by the Fire Chief before they are release on our web site for example. However, absolutely no images of expired victims will be published. Can't say I disagree.
We have one camera on our rescue that we use to take pictures, if we have time, of scene's & vehicle's to use in the event of a court case or if there is ever any question about what happened. Once the pictures are taken they are downloaded to a locked file on the computer that only I & the Assistant Chief have access to. The pictures are then deleted from the camera & put back on the truck.
It should be an assigned task with specific parameters.
Anyone else caught doing with personal equipment should be removed from the scene and if department confidentiality was violated, then they should be removed from the department.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

The role of photography on scene is important but as Art rightfully said, it must be designated with very clear (and written) policies.

Some of the greatest learning moments we've had have been post incident looking at videos and photos that either we or media have taken....
Interesting topic for me, as I take photos for 7 plus fire departments. The 6 volunteer fire departments I am a member of for the purpose of taking photos. The 7th department is a paid Municipal FD which I am employed by the municipality, but not as part of the FD, but accepted as part of the crew. I have also been requested by other FD's which I am not a member of to take photos for their FD also.

None of the FD's have a written policy on photo taking. I guess it has never been a problem around here. Probably never thought of. I also guess they are basically leaving that part up to me. As I am a law enforcement officer in my 37th year of service. I've done my FD and EMS stuff in my earlier years. Now to the point of relaxing and just taking the photos. Yes, I have full gear and identification as photographer with my gear in form of helmet rockers and reflective vest.

I think photos are needed and very useful especially for training purposes. I also think there should be only one person responsible for taking photos at fire scenes or training. First it makes it easier to control. Second, do you really want a firefighter on a scene taking time to stop and take photos? Manpower is usually short to start with.

The only time a victim or body should be photographed is under the direction of the PD, coroners office, or other official investigation unit. With that, you know the photos are only going to the law enforcement agency. Otherwise, I for one do not take photos of any victims. I don't even like getting bystanders in the photos. It happens, but when I can, it is only FD, EMS, and PD personnel in the photo. You never know when it might be someone involved. As far as license plates, I also try to white out the numbers so the plate can't be identified. Even in public where taking photos of anyone is permitted.

A written policy is probably the best. It controls the situation and if someone does go out and beyond the photo policy, it may help clear the FD of any wrong doing. Again, also by having one person in charge of taking and controlling photo taking, also narrows down the problems.

As others have mentioned before, without control by the FD of who is taking photos and what photos are permitted, you are opening the FD up for a lawsuit somewhere down the line with the money hungry lawyers out there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service