Does anyone that is still an active firefighter find that members of your volunteer fire dept. treat you differently and discriminate against you because of your in the line-of-duty injury? I sure do, and I'm getting pretty sick and tirede of it...!

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael,

First off, it's hard to make any coherent argument for or against, given the paucity of information you've included.  A line-of-duty injury can be anything from a sprained ankle to a permanent disability.  You haven't made any distinction.

Secondly, you raise the issue: Why would your fellow firefighters discriminate against you based on an injury?  Are they not picking your for reindeer games?  Or are they not wanting you on their crew?  Again there is an entire spectrum of possibilities, none of which you have included.  As to their treating you differently, you again fail to specify how so.  Do they hold the door open for you?  Do they instead let it slam in your face? 

Finally, you have a second post regarding the retroactive awarding of PSOB to those injured prior to enactment (1990) of the bill.  As I read it, the bill (presently and retroactively if passed) awards benefits to those "...having been permanently and totally disabled as the direct result of a catastrophic injury sustained in the line of duty..."  That being the case it raises the question; how can you be a member of a volunteer fire department if you are permanently and totally disabled? 

One has to presume that the best you can do is to observe and perhaps perform in an administrative function, so yet another question is raised: How are members of your department discriminating against you?

Based on a google search, you appear to be the driving force behind HR-3367.  Maybe people are questioning why you should be entitled to benefits that occurred 40 years ago when you were 17 years old (directing traffic).  Or perhaps, given that you indicate that you are in two volunteer fire departments, they question the issue of your permanent and total disability.

Finally, maybe members see you as only being concerned with getting HR-3367, to the extent that they don't see you serving any other real purpose or function in their department.

I'm not saying any of the above is the case, I'm only speculating as to why members of your VFD would be, as you seem to indicate, discriminating against you.  Perhaps a more robust explanation from you would allow others to more clearly see what the issues are.

Michael, Not sure how you are getting discriminated in your department with that being said here in New York there are laws that protect you from that. If you think if you are being discriminated you will need to contact the New York State labor board and start a claim. . . 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service