Just curious to know what other dept. sop,, to approach car fire with all the air bags cylinders ,magnesium and stuts that when explose are projected at  45 deg. angle!

Views: 2071

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My take on vehicle fires is probabaly gonna get trashed. If your talkin' a vehicle involved with fire, engine and passenger compartment...a heavily involved, or fully involved vehicle, first off, there is nothing to save. Even with one of those compartments involved with fire, it's most likely gone.

Yet,we still see the attempts to put on the show, so to speak, up close and personal with a hopeless situation, a pile of smoldering junk, and we stick our faces inside a burning auto for what?

To get to the point: Protect the exposures, and hit it from a distance, and knock it down and cool it as much as possible before ya move in to finsih. There's a time to get down and dirty with a fire, and then there are the dumpsters on wheels, which is an involved auto! Angle your approach, be aware of what can pop, fly, BLEVE, and project, and don't forget that sometimes you may need more than that 500 gallons with some of the materials now days.

Ya wanna SCBA up, and walk into it??? go for it.

Ya wanna breathe that smoke without an SCBA?? That's up to you and your Officer.

Personally if it's feasible I'll hit it with the deck gun first. How's THAT for outta the box?
Use your judgement if the whole thing is about to explode dont go near it, otherwise get up close an drown it with a branch, its only a car fire you know how its gonna behave for the most part. We're having a lot of troubles over here with LPG cars now though. An i dont know much about the hydrogen fuel cell cars but thats got to be a disaster waiting to happen
And that's what scares me. It's ONLY a car fire...get up close! You know how it's gonna behave...Obviously we see things differently. And so be it. But there's no sense in wondering why we get hurt and people get killed.

Give me ONE good reason why it makes good sense to get within a foot ot two of a burning auto???

Let me clarify this. Use the water stream to it's advantage. Attack from a safe distance. Knock it down. Of course you have to approach it to complete extinguishment. But until you have the fire contained, and knocked down, use the reach of the stream.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service