I've been flipping through utube videos all night, and i am amazed at how many times departments can be seen at a car fire and not using full structural ppe, to include scba. My question is are there really that many departments tha dont require this? Full ppe should be required to be worn at any car fire, do these people just want to die young? everyones thoughts

Views: 868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow that brings back memories...
SCBA,SCBA,SCBA,SCBA,SCBA,SCBA,SCBA,SCBA,SCBA.
I think you get the point. We have rolled up on car fires and the occupant was gathering items out of the car. Yep, gathering tubes, containers, jugs, etc. and then takes off running down the river bank. That'll make ya reevaluate a size up.
Some of the dirtiest, deadliest fires are car fires. Not wearing SCBA is STUPID.
I'll make it easy for everybody:

Smoke = BAD.
Clean Air = GOOD.

Thank you. :)
i have read through the replies to this topic.. So far i havent seen no mention of another BIG BAD UGLY CHEMICAL that is being used in cars as a source of fuel. Alot of the new cars now have Propane tanks in them as a source of fuel or as a reserve source of fuel... for all u Newbies what do u think will happen when that propane tank lets lose?? What are u going to look like if u dont have an SCBA on?? Providing you live through the explossion of that propane tank in the vehicle..Think about all the paper work the chief or OIC has to do because u didnt wear propper PPE.. Since im mentioning paper work, think about how expensive your medical bills will be that you have to pay because you did not wear an SCBA like you were suposed too... The Fire Dept and workers comp arent going to pay your bills because you were at fault for not wearing propper PPE.. Can you really afford thousands of dollars in medical bills due to your own negligence?? If anything, when you see someone working a car fire without propper PPE, remove them from the danger zone until they have propper PPE on would be my suggestion... SAFETY COMES FIRST FOR YOU AND YOUR TEAM MATES. NO EXCUSES!
For you officers out there, Anything that i didnt cover or mention that could be of bennifit to those reading this??
Our department requires full ppe at any fire and we have very steep punishment if you are caught with out it, Its just plane foolish to not use what you have to keep yourself and your brothers and sisters safe.
Actually sodium azide was phased out in the early 90's because it didnt burn completly and now they use a stabilized ammonium nitrate because it burns and is less harmful when it burns. your also exactly right about getting exited about a car fire.
full turn out gear and SCBA on car fires are required in my department.
SCBA's have to be worn at car fires. In the old days, 20 years ago plus...It wasnt even an issue. Now with the awareness we have about carcinogens, cancers and everything else involved with fighting fires these days, we should all know better. I personally, don't want to wake up coughing up a lung in 20 years and have the doctor tell me that I have COPD or another form of lung disease because I wasn't cautious and wanted to look cool in the paper when I was a kid.
Lots of great posts...all with the same messages. So I dont want to repeat some great narratives.
It's no longer acceptable to consider these responses as.."just a car fire"...The need for FULL PPE and operable SCBA is imperative. It all starts with the leadership of the organization (ie SOP's) and translates down to the company officer and the accountability of the crew. We gotta change our perspectives on safety......
Really, I don't think our department has a policy on this. I know our chief, and all the officers rarely put packs on at a car fire. As a matter of fact we have some that rarely put them on at a structure fire. I tend to forget to put the pack on, however, I mostly pump the truck. If I do make attack I try to wear one, at least on a structure. I am more likely to not wear one on a car 1070. Not saying it's right, but monkey see monkey do, you know....
If I do make attack I try to wear one, at least on a structure

I surely hope at ANY structure fire AND car fire you start wearing your pack. Monkey can see but doesn't mean monkey has to do. (a play on your own phrase)

Leadership by example isn't going to apply here. Take the drive and initiative to do it the right way yourself and start your department on the CORRECT path towards a safer working atmosphere.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service