I've been flipping through utube videos all night, and i am amazed at how many times departments can be seen at a car fire and not using full structural ppe, to include scba. My question is are there really that many departments tha dont require this? Full ppe should be required to be worn at any car fire, do these people just want to die young? everyones thoughts

Views: 868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We aren't making entry. Why do we need to take time to put on an air pack? You don't wear a life jacket to a wadding pool. Come on, it's just a little bit of smoke. What? You don't like smoke?

Gee I bet you want us to wear seatbelts in the apparatus too. :)

Somebody didn't recognize my scarcasim? Those are comments I hear all the time about wearing SCBA on car fires or any type of "small" fire we don't seem to want to take time to don SCBA for.

As I said in a discussion very similar to this one a few days ago, where there is smoke there are carcinogens meaning we need SCBA. We "should" be wearing at least a respirator of some sort in wild land fires.

Firefighters suffer from upper respiratory infections such as sinusitis and bronchitis after battling brush fires or other types of fires where we don't think SCBA is necessary. The body is trying to defend itself against toxins we breathe in. If smoke burns your eyes, what do you think it is doing to your lungs?
Well I am glad that was sarcasim, there are a few left in the fire service who do not respect the use of PPE. If they stay back at the firehouse, that is fine. However we have a few who do this on the fireground. They also wear the white helmets. Some point, they adopted the theroy that the radio they hold in their hand can defend them from everything.
I hope that will change someday.
anyone who does not wear full ppe on a car fire is not smart. all the burning plastics and such involved with a car and the thought of a gas tank letting go. come on lets use our heads wear ur ppe you are only hurting yourself!!!!!!!
As with everyone here thats what PPEs are there for if theres smoke SCBAs not counting wild land
For years we fought car fires w/out a pack on. After learning what all plastic and other nasty stuff is in that smoke its now mandatory in my department. I wouldnt have it any other way.
Only those that have not been properly trained are the one's that don't wear PPE!!
Seems we're all in agreement on this one and I'm glad to see that, as a former trainer it does us good to see that awarness levels are increasing. However I see the same pictures and wonder why we seem to believe that even though we know the hazards the superman syndrom allows so many times to disregard the issue.
N ot only is it an issue for me when I see individuals disregarding their personal safety but why is no action taken by those on scene. Come on guys we are our brothers keepers aren't we ?
One last point to be made and that is a lot of these gases are cumulative. Once you inhale them they are with you for life. You may not inhale enough to kill you today but stay in this business long enough and diregard the breathing apparatus and well they'll say it was death due to an occupational disease, was it.
This goes for dumpster fires also!!!!
In our company, we are required to wear full PPE and SCBA's on car fires. From the training we receive through vehicle rescue, we can see some of the things that cars are made of and have in them, so yes, we all should be wearing full gear during car fires. I can handle smoke, but toxins is something we all don't need.
When I first got into this business, I was taught by some very good and expierenced FF's and Officers. They taught me how to put others before yourself, how to be part of a team, scene displine, how to conserve my air, take my time, how to read a building or room, how to watch smoke, and how to think ahead of the fire. We would never breathed air until we needed to. It was not uncommon for us to wait until we were choking inside of a building on fire before we put our masks on. They always said to me, "Save your air for when you need it kid!" We absolutely never wore SCBA's for a vehicle fire. They taught me to stay out of the smoke or hold my breath if needed. But, unfortunately many of that older generation have lung cancer, emphysema, bronchitis, trach's, etc...It was different materials burning then. It was referred to then as "clean burning" and not the cancerous chemicals that are present at every incident we go to now. Where ever you are now, just look around and within fingers reach is some cancer causing carnicogen just waiting to get in to your lungs and destroy your life. So, saying all of that to say this, "WEAR YOUR SCBA!" If not for yourself, for your family.
Good reply Shareed- I wasn't too sure which way it was going to go initially, but I read it to the end....
NO not true, there are lots of "Certified" firefighters doing all kinds of stupid things on the fire ground.

Leadership is the issue here. Plain and simple.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service