I've noticed a proponderence of really bad images of firefighting. I just seen a fire companies flickr account and seen 6 pages of a house burning. 1 pic of a FF standing outside by himself with a hose line on the fire and several pics of FF going inside. THEN 5 more pages of the house burnt down.

Of course this isn't the first time and I know most action takes place inside but when a pic shows NO hose lines going inside, No ladders thrown, one engine in front of the scene, then 10 FF's standing around it looks bad.

I don't know why we get before and after pics but very few during pics?

Views: 350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now that is a fire and FF putting it out!
Yes, blacking out is work (boring dirty work most of the time), but not the sort of photos many people would want to see. And I've never been un-busy enough yet to take photos of a going scrub fire. Same sort of thing I suppose as a structure fire, one I don't carry a camera in, two I don't really have the time to take photos!
Thread Paul, thread. The post was yours... ;o)

You know, I think 'too busy' has been said enough. What do you think?
I found a side with some pictures of FF working at our job. They are inside putting out the fire. Good pic's, please ignore the safety violatins you may see by todays standards. These were taken in the 1970's, different time different rules. Try http://fdnysbravest.com/index.htm these are some great shots, check out the "can man" doing his thing.
Tony, I understand what people are saying about being too busy. But I'm really talking about the pics with heavy fire or smoke and theres no ladders in ANY pics, no hose lines going inside or one engine with 3 FF's running around doing nothing. John Wooden said it best, "never msitake activity for acheivement".

Another thing is the good pics don't get put out. The ones like Kali used as an example are the ones people see. Or they see the complete opposite like the FF holding the dying child.

While many examples of good photography are given they are mostly known by the fire service and not the general public.
Exactly my point. Public Safety Photography has a value for education, investigation, PIA. I just went rounds with the cops over taking pictures at a fire after a cop stopped me and wanted to know what i do with them and why. I just had a retired LT. pass away and the first call i got was "russ, you got any pictures of joe fighting fire?" i did and i gave them willingly and the montage was a nice tribute. everyone had a nice memory. about liability, after 30 years i would WELCOME a lawsuit about any picture i have taken at a fire or emergency because there are so many PSP's on death row.
nice pics, to the ones that have been posted. but have to agree with the majority, i, nor most of the guys in my department have the mindset of "take the picture first, save the property second" with that said, their are plenty of quality pics out there from training fires where departments are just burning the structure to the ground.
well the fire was there and we put it out

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service