I looked for a thread, didn't find one, if I missed it, my sincere apologies.

In the fire district that I currently live in, there's an issue that drives me up the wall. They serve Beer in the Stations, there is an open wet bar, that the Firefighters can use anytime they please. I've heard from a few FF's that I met, they do it, but have rules about going on the calls. One certain rule is, they wont be able to respond, if they are "TOO DRUNK" to drive. I have also seen them on calls, oddly enough, they were "Toasted" in my opinion, they broke down the wrong door in a neighboring building,, let me rephrase that, 5 doors were torn apart, even after I told them the fire was over here.
I was also told, the drinking will stay, it's supported by a board of "The old guys", they are all retired volly's, the upper command staff take part, so who do you talk now. 

My question is, how many other departments allow this type of behavior.  

Views: 2441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure there are paid guys that showed up to work still drunk, and I'm sure that wouldn't be tolerated.

I'm sure there may have been paid guys that had a bad enough drinking problem that they may have sneaked a drink during their shift, and I'm sure that wouldn't be tolerated.

I'm sure that there have been vollies that showed up (still) drunk and I'm sure it may have been tolerated.

I'm sure there are vollies that drink in the firehouse, and that is tolerated.

The biggest difference is that paid departments do not allow alcohol in the fire house, do not tolerate drinking on the job or showing up drunk, and there are regulations for that. Whereas in many volunteer departments not only are there not any regulations governing drinking and responding but alcohol is allowed, and served, in the fire house.

If you think alcohol and firefighting mix then you may be a social club member.
Yeah, I should tell you, I have no intention of budging on this one. There are laws about the consumption of alcohol in the stations, just because the department doesn't make it public, under the contention of, "what they don't know wont hurt them. "There are strict laws being broken, including driving home after a few... It's called DUI's, not to mention, if someone ever were injured as a result of a FF driving home drunk, the media would own it, the families would sue like crazy... This is the kind of crap that closes fire houses, cuts funding, can even effect grants, so if even for a minute you think it's okay, it isn't.
we're supposed to be life savers.... The public should look up to us, not be embarrassed by the actions of a few that are getting drunk on the job.

Or not wearing seatbelts.

Or driving like dickheads.

Shall I go on???
"There are strict laws being broken, including driving home after a few... It's called DUI's, not to mention, if someone ever were injured as a result of a FF driving home drunk, the media would own it, the families would sue like crazy...

I'm starting to see the lumping of drinking being directly associated with drunk and drunk driving. It really isn't the case. Just because someone has a couple drinks does not make them drunk. What really is the difference in having a drink or two at a friend's house or bar and then drive home?

My point is just because one has a few drinks doesn't necessarily make them a drunk, nor does driving home make them a DUI. Fact remains that someone can have a couple drinks and still function fine, there are many factors involved in which makes the notion for being "drunk" arguable.

I am not saying that one should be responding or working as a FF if they have been drinking, but there is a difference between having a drink or two and being drunk.
hey good concern. we do have a 'beer' fridge at our station. however, since we are paid-on-call and not at the station constantly, we have a bevi, for a couple of dollars, after a meeting,practice or call out. just one or two to unwind and dicuss the event(s). nothing out of hand....is it right?? good question. but thats how alot of stations i know of are. thats all i got for info for you
The difference is, is it OK to drink in the station or not OK. There will always be people that break rules, that does not make it OK to have alcohol in ths station.
Well put Jack.
Were i am at i am a vol. firefighter and have had some group of guys show to a call as well, have a few to many and talk to the Sheriff and he did not do nothing to that person. That is a good ???
At my "Home" station of Rescue we had beer on tap, and maybe a few bottles out of sight UNTIL, a major snow storm hit the area and we had to take in people that were stuck in the storm. One lady and a child walked in to our house and saw the beer tap and the little boy said, "Hey, firemen really are drunk." We were so sickened by this that the tap was removed with in minutes. And our house went dry. If we did have beer there, it was if we bought it. Concealed it. And drank less then 3 beers. Normally a football or hockey game. And no matter the call, you are left behind. If you have fire commissioners or a board that over see's the fire house, talk to them. Let them be the bad guys, and clean out the house.
Alcohol has no place in the station.
Nah, that sums it up quite nicely.
No, IMO in no case is it OK to drink in the station. It just sends the wrong message.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service